Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Studying Medicine as an International Student

_sunshinexx__sunshinexx_ Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Hey everyone,

So now that it is almost time to choose a college I have started to have huge doubts about whether I should be going to university in the US. I know for a fact that I want to be a doctor and it has been my dream to attend an US medical school since I can remember, however I do realize that as an international student, it is extremely competitive and that chances are, I won't get in. However, assuming that I will go to either Northwestern or Harvey Mudd, (I am still waiting to her back from other schools, these are the only ones that I received) how likely am I to be admitted to an US medical school after undergrad? (Also assume that I have the money necessary to pay for medical school and that my GPA, MCAT and extracurriculars show a strong interest in medicine). The other option would be the UK, as I have already been accepted to a good medical school but my first choice is the US and I would rather go there.

Thanks so much :)

Replies to: Studying Medicine as an International Student

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 13,776 Senior Member
    Most medical schools in the US accept a very limited number of international students regardless of stats, some do not accept any.
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Registered User Posts: 9,444 Senior Member
    Last year only 112 international applicants were accepted to all US med schools combined--and approx. 85% of those internationals were Canadians. (Because Canadians get special admission consideration at several medical schools near the US-Canada border that do not otherwise accept international students. Also because the Canadian government and many Canadian banks offer loans to Canadian citizens/PR attending med school in the US so financing med school isn't an issue.)

See: https://www.aamc.org/download/321462/data/factstablea4.pdf

If you truly want to be a doctor, take your UK acceptance and don't look back.

• i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Forum Champion Brown Posts: 8,183 Forum Champion
    Is your dream to actually permanently relocate to the US and be a doctor or just to attend a US medical school because if it's the latter, 100% go the UK route and don't even think twice about it.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 83,634 Forum Champion
    <<<<
    The other option would be the UK, as I have already been accepted to a good medical school but my first choice is the US
    <<<<

This is not wise.

You have an admission to a UK med...take it.

Think about it.....fast forward 4 years from now.... Imagine that you have no US med school acceptances, which is the likely scenario. You would forever regret not taking the UK opportunity.

A bird in the hand.....

(P.S...I can't imagine anyone, unless VERY affluent, wanting to come up with all the dough to go to a US med school. You won't be instate for any publics, and the OOS public and private tuitions are crazy high....and rising every year!.

Your parents would be paying roughly $250k for your undergrad and $400k for med school. Are your parents rich???)
This discussion has been closed.