Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Brown Class of 2022 Applicants Discussion

Replies to: Brown Class of 2022 Applicants Discussion

• TwinmomhellTwinmomhell Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    edited March 2018
    Twins, 1 accepted, 1 rejected.
    The financial aid portal is true. I have twins they both applied, about 1 month ago 1 daughters portal stayed with just the CSS and Fafsa, the other daughters changed with 12 items checked off as complete and she had 3 financial aid messages in her message box. All their friends who applied and didnt get in their portal stayed the same, no change.
    DD1 accepted UPENN and Columbia, rejected Brown
    DD2 accepted UPENN, Brown, Columbia, Yale, waitlisted Princeton.
  • bartram17bartram17 Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    I was placed on the wait list!! I am very pleasantly surprised, as I was expecting a rejection, so this is great news! I know my chances of getting off the waitlist are dismal, so does anyone have any tips on how to do it (besides writing a LOCI)? Brown is still my dream school and I would do anything to get in.
  • mlunghimlunghi Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    what do you guys think, Brown or University College London?
  • trishtytrishty Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Some were incomplete and we left that way. Brown complete.
  • GencmomGencmom Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    @sciencenerd123 Three words regarding @lizzy1234 's post: Do Not Engage. Your comment was not at all racist. This was just another feeble attempt to push someone's buttons. It was another cry for attention, and the best way to deal with this is to ignore. As I've stated before, some people have nothing else, and are addicted to the drama. The rest of us have meaningful lives.
  • LondonVallLondonVall Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    @lizzy1234 if your rule only works for some people and not for others, then it's not a rule :)) that's what we call a coincidence
  • GencmomGencmom Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Good point @LondonVall I have no idea if the financial aid documents mean anything--we didn't get that far bc my D did ED at another school. But if she had applied to Brown RD as planned, I may have offered my opinion/experience without trying to come off as an expert, which I most certainly am not. But I would have done it politely and with respect for others' opinions. I do know, however, that Brown gets 30K+ applications, and one cannot make any conclusions based on the reports of a few people on CC. In an epidemiological study, this would be ascertainment bias. Also, as pointed out by @lizzy1234, one would be relying on self reporting by people here, and who knows if people are telling the truth or remembering correctly. Maybe somebody could just ask Brown.
  • apdns19apdns19 Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    edited March 2018
    @lizzy1234 IDOC and rejected at Brown, Harvard and Georgetown. No IDOC and accepted to other schools. Waitlisted schools are a mixture.
  • emily523emily523 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    got accepted!! so happy but also so sad because they offered zero financial aid :(
  • Harpguy2022Harpguy2022 Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    @mlunghi London college so I can get off the wait list ;)
  • snaccbrownsnaccbrown Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    edited March 2018
    Someting strange I noticed was how little Brown admitted compared to last years where anticipated class sizes are equal or even less. I'm hoping this translates to a lot of waitlist movement.

Is there any reason to believe that Brown's yield rate could be abnormally high this year?
  • MarzzzMarzzz Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    Somebody please help me choose between Brown and Wellesley. I've heard Brown is a party school and most students are extroverts and really outgoing. I'm the opposite! Im afraid i wont fit in socially at Brown
  • SE1619SE1619 Registered User Posts: 27 Junior Member
    @snaccbrown They seem to think the yield rate will be higher this year.

From the article in The Brown Daily Herald, "Powell said that the Brown Promise initiative, the addition of another A Day on College Hill program and the doubling of travel grants should increase the yield rate of admitted students, which is one reason why the acceptance rate is lower this year."

http://www.browndailyherald.com/2018/03/28/university-admits-record-low-7-2-percent-applicants-class-2022/
  • yongxiuyongxiu Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Could someone who is waitlisted please tell me how long you have to accept or decline your place on the waitlist?

My daughter is in Europe on a school trip and she does not want to check her Brown portal till she gets home (for fear of ruining her vacation). However, I'm concerned that if she waitlisted she won't know it and miss her opportunity to accept a place on the WL. Thanks!
  • VolunteerismVolunteerism Registered User Posts: 418 Member
This discussion has been closed.