Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Brown Class of 2022 Applicants Discussion

Replies to: Brown Class of 2022 Applicants Discussion

• Harpguy2022Harpguy2022 Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    I guess let's hope that they don't increase their yield and take a lot of us!!
  • ohiocollegemomohiocollegemom Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    I am late to this, but it was an exciting journey backwards to see what started the discussion about IDOC. I feel for you kids, but know that someone wise told me that a college name can get you that first job interview. Everything after that is up to you!

This is a mute point, but I found this on Brown's IDOC Questions and Answers, a link takes you to Instructions for US Citizens and Permanent Residents, and then under FAFSA and IDOC - College Board's Institutional Documents Service (IDOC)

"The Office of Financial Aid uses the College Board’s IDOC service to electronically collect tax and other financial documents from families.
    Brown does not require an IDOC packet from every family - only upon request.
    Once you have filed your CSS/PROFILE, you may receive an email communication from the College Board providing you with instructions on how to submit any additional requirements through IDOC. Possible additional requirements through IDOC may include:
    2016 federal income tax return for custodial parent(s) (or non-tax filer statement)
    2016 federal income tax return for student (or non-tax filer statement)
    2016 federal income tax return for noncustodial parent, if applicable (or non-tax filer statement)
    2016 federal income tax return for partnerships and/or corporations, if applicable
    If you do not receive a request from IDOC, the Office of Financial Aid has enough information to provide an estimated financial aid award at the time of admission."

The data set that is missing is whether Brown (contrary to their own language above) requires verification of some or all tax documents for 100% of accepted students filing for financial aid in this category of citizenship. There may be a strong correlation between acceptance and applicants with requested individual tax documents. There is certainly evidence of that on this thread, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

For next year's group, I hope you stumble over this post.

I am glad this college season is OVER. :)
  • nrtlax33nrtlax33 Registered User Posts: 686 Member
    @Marzzz : You are interested in Biochem so you won't have too much time to party anyway. Wellesley is not co-ed and honestly I think that alone seems to be a determinate factor for a lot of people. No two Brown students are the same. You will find your friends.
  • baltimoreguybaltimoreguy Registered User Posts: 286 Junior Member
    I'll be interested to see how much the removal of student loans from aid packages boosts yield - it can only help, as that definitely made Brown less appealing than competitor schools in the past.
  • snaccbrownsnaccbrown Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    All those programs won't matter if students can't pay for it and Brown offers bad financial aid packages (which is what I've been hearing) - I'm hoping for low yield rates.
  • MarzzzMarzzz Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    I actually liked the fact that wellesley is not co-ed lol. And i applied for engineering at Brown. But thanks! Ill probably end up going to Brown
  • NPKNPK Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Please if it is okay only send me your essays. message me separately. My son rejected.
  • wereallcrydownherewereallcrydownhere Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I obviously don’t know anything about you, but for me personally I would pick Wellesley. I was rejected to Wellesley and accepted to Brown (I’m a legacy for Brown so that definitely helped), but Wellesley was always my first choice and if I got in to Wellesley I would have gone there. Obviously both schools are insanely well respected and will offer you a great education so you’re good in that aspect no matter what, so I would just go with whatever school you think you’ll feel more comfortable in.

For me I preferred an all women’s college (if I didn’t get into either Brown then I would have gone to Mount Holyoke), and as an introvert Wellesley’s apparent social scene really worked for me. I found it easier to talk to my tour guides/fellow prospective students at Wellesley than at Brown (though I’m not sure if this even means anything, if did definitely change my opinions of the school).
  • meganddmegandd Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Ok, just to clarify, did anyone with only the CSS and FAFSA get in?
  • momofcollegeboundmomofcollegebound Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Son was accepted!

35 ACT
    800s on three SAT subject tests
    NMF and Scholar
    Strong ECs and community service
    Visited campus
    Great interview

Accepted: Brown, Dartmouth, Duke, Northwestern, Bowdoin, Middlebury, Boston College, Colby, Fordham
    Accepted as 2nd year Transfer Student: Cornell
    Waitlisted: UPenn, Georgetown
    Rejected: Princeton (orginally deferred having applied SCEA)

Happy and grateful!
  • Animegirl2018Animegirl2018 Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    @snaccbrown I definitely agree. Although I like Brown, I am reconsidering since my expected contribution is about 7k, compared to UPenn's 1.2k, and Johns Hopkins $178, although JHU was with a scholarship. I believe I read somewhere on the thread that Brown matches need-based aid, so I think I am going to try that, or hopefully win some outside scholarships.
  • MarzzzMarzzz Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    @wereallcrydownhere Hmm i think we're really similar lol. I love EVERYTHING about Wellesley. It seems like the perfect fit for me. However, i want to do engineering and wellesley is a LAC :(( Brown is also amazing though. Cant have everything.
    Thanks for the reply though!
  • chingooyachingooya Registered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    @snaccbrow. I've noticed that, too. Hope that means they will take more from the waitlist, too.
  • nrtlax33nrtlax33 Registered User Posts: 686 Member
    Ivy Acceptance rates -- class of 2022

Harvard: 4.6%; admitted 1,962 of 42,749
    Princeton: 5.5%; admitted 1,941 of 35,370
    Columbia: 5.5%; admitted 2,214 of 40,203
    Yale: 6.3%; admitted 2,229 of 35,306
    Brown: 7.2%; admitted 2,566 of 35,438
    Penn: 8.4%; admitted 3,731 of 44,491
    Dartmouth: 8.7%; admitted 1,925 of 22,033
    Cornell: 10.3%; admitted 5,288 out of 51,328

• hooverhoohooverhoo Registered User Posts: 110 Junior Member
    DD got UCB Regent today, a little bandit to yesterday's wound.

I read back DD's application, compared with those so-called "List of Top, Prestigious Awards" (https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/20527596/#Comment_20527596), she has: 2x9s, 1x7, 1x5, 2x4s, 3x3s, 4x1s, using the highest category if duplicate encountered. Reported in common app award section: 1x9, 1x7, 1x5, 1x4, 1x3, and submitted the other 9 from portal, perfect/near perfect scores, tons of ECs in/outside school and community services, blah-blah-blah...

What more do you want, honey? :bz

Go Tigers! :D
This discussion has been closed.