Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Brown Frequently Asked Questions

Replies to: Brown Frequently Asked Questions

• tetrisfantetrisfan Registered User Posts: 11,791 Senior Member
    Any more? This thread is good!
  • ClaySoulClaySoul - Posts: 2,176 Senior Member
    Can we please get rid of the CC rules on this list?
  • wolfmanjackwolfmanjack Registered User Posts: 1,167 Senior Member
    nay.......
  • ClaySoulClaySoul - Posts: 2,176 Senior Member
    why nay? this is a FAQ, not a "please don't annoy me on cc" list
    feel free to create a forum etiquette thread then. god knows it needs to be somewhere.
  • sexycanisexycani Registered User Posts: 367 Member
    #12 Do the expanded information on my Brown application website mean anything?
    A: Unfortunately no. It does not indicate acceptance or rejection.

This question has been rehashed at least since Class of 2011, so this is definitely a FAQ.
    bump.........
  • modestmelodymodestmelody Registered User Posts: 4,654 Senior Member
    Good time for a bump, my friend.

I'm surprised the number of questions hasn't increased a lot more now that decisions are out...
  • chsowlflax17chsowlflax17 Registered User Posts: 941 Member
    Not sure if this is a most-asked question.. but is the Brown EFC typically higher or lower than the federal EFC?
    Never heard that one. Try asking the financial aid office for that stuff. But I'm betting it's higher. The federal govt is much more lenient than private schools.
  • modestmelodymodestmelody Registered User Posts: 4,654 Senior Member
    Because of the use of CSS Profile, like other Profile schools, Brown is going to take into account assets that sometimes are missed by FAFSA.

A lot of students come in "hiding" money in assets like boats and second homes that Brown wants to take account of to make sure there is equitable awarding of aid. Sometimes using Profile raises your contribution, sometimes because of a lack of assets, it lowers it.

That being said, another thing that I suspect surprises people is that Brown does not give you a number year one that reflects 1/4 of your total award while here. If you have money saved in 529s or other college funds that are in the student's name, that money is 100% contributed year 1 to Brown. The result may be, as in my case, aid increases significantly as those funds are diminished.

It's important to ask about how the university sees your package evolving over four years and not assume that this number stays static. It didn't for me. The amount of aid I received my first year relative to the amount I received subsequently was around 5%.
  • spunauglespunaugle Registered User Posts: 804 Member
    So, while on the topic of Financial aid, I know of some Ivies that will match offers made by others. Does Brown also do this? Because my Dartmouth EFC was about 3500 lower than my brown one, and while this may not seem like much, it is a big consideration for my family.
  • whocantucanwhocantucan Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    If you call the financial aid office they can answer that for you... $3500 is not a slight difference by any means, so ask them and they will let you know if they can work something out.
    someone sticky this! bump bump bump
  • lr2010lr2010 Registered User Posts: 777 Member
    Can someone explain me the post # 11? about the counselors and the waitlist?
This discussion has been closed.