Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
MilkmagnMilkmagn Registered User Posts: 711 Member
edited April 2008 in Brown University
Is WashU a better and more prestigious school than Brown?
Post edited by Milkmagn on

Replies to: WashU

• BustlesBustles Registered User Posts: 318 Member
    "Better" is pretty subjective but Brown takes the cake for prestige, I would say.
  • KristinaKristina Registered User Posts: 1,017 Senior Member
    No way! (@ the OP)
  • xmobilexmobile Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    That's funny...Wash U being better than Brown...hahahahaha right.
  • dcircledcircle Registered User Posts: 1,846 Senior Member
    usually the answer is "it depends..." but in this case i think we can safely say...no and no.
  • MilkmagnMilkmagn Registered User Posts: 711 Member
    I think WashU would be better for pre-med and biological sciences, no?
  • dcircledcircle Registered User Posts: 1,846 Senior Member
    how so?

brown is in the top 5 in the nation for the percentage of students who are admitted to their top choice medical schools
  • modestmelodymodestmelody Registered User Posts: 4,654 Senior Member
    dcircle-- it comes from the misconception that having a good medical school, which almost always has a completely separate facility, completely separate faculty, completely separate endowment (which is added in for US News, of course), completely separate courses for med students only, etc, some how effects the undergraduate student body.
    I didn't mention anything about the medical school. I just said WashU is better in the biological sciences area, which it is.

Refresh me on the difference in rank between Brown and WashU, Bustles?
  • modestmelodymodestmelody Registered User Posts: 4,654 Senior Member
    I'm not really sure what rankings really matter for undergraduate, but what I can tell you is combined with the fact that Brown is in the top 5 for getting into choice med schools that our brand new 95 million dollar research facilities coupled with a 4:1 concentrator to investigator ratio (including declared juniors and seniors matched to non-clinical, non-research only professors leading lab groups), Brown is a pretty great place to be for the biological sciences. Add the resources we have because of our separate and strong neuroscience and cognitive science departments, very strong computational biology groups which work across biology and CS, and a biochemistry program that flourishes due to its strong connection sitting directly between the chemistry and biology departments, and I can say that Brown is one of the best choices of Life Sciences.

But if you have an answer in mind before starting this thread, please do share.

If you have some metric that you think out classes all others, please do share and why that metric is more meaningful than others.
  • wolfmanjackwolfmanjack Registered User Posts: 1,167 Senior Member
    Nothing better than a high schooler posting questions to which he assumes to already have the answer to.
  • tonyspizza1800tonyspizza1800 Registered User Posts: 353 Member
    For someone who posted on a thread on the Notre Dame board saying you are "not a fan of USNR rankings" simply because Georgetown is ranked lower than Notre Dame, you are being quite a hypocrite in using the USNR rankings in this thread to justify your own opinion that WashU is better than Brown just because it is ranked two places higher on the USNR rankings. Don't start a thread asking questions when your mind is clearly already made up.
    ^wow, some people take CC way too seriously
This discussion has been closed.