Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do YOU think I can get in???

ummyummy Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
edited August 2008 in Brown University
GPA: 4.0 UW (my school doesn't have a weighted GPA)
1st Generation American
--this year i've taken: accelerated physics, ap bio, ap eng lit, french 3, medical skills terminology and emergency response, honors precalculus, the old west
--next year: ap psych, ap chem, ap calc bc, world religions, french 4 (AP at my school), trying to get into micro/macro, and comp gov't via online courses/dual enrollment, some other courses that I can't remember...
ACT: 30 (32 Math, 32 Reading, 30 English, 26 Science )
AP Bio Score: 5
AP Lit: 3

extracurriculars:
founder of youth group, secretary (9/10)
mun member (9)
mun secretary (10)
mun sec-gen (11/12--i've been re-elected for next year)
humanitarian club
student government
volunteer at a nearby hospital starting this year (will have about 70 hours by September)
math club
michigan math league
muslim student association
will join the french club
national honor society (10/11)
NHS treasurer (will be for 12th grade)
finally: Nine4Peace. made up of nine kids (duh...) we talked to michigan senators and got a bill introduced into the michigan legislature to help stop divestment to sudan (AND IT PASSED UNANIMOUSLY!!). we've also organized rallies to raise awareness about Darfur.

I've gotten around 12 awards from school for high grades.

I don't want to send in my SAT because it was very low. I took 3 Subject Tests: Bio M- 780, Math 2- 670 (i'm retaking, hoping for a higher score!), and French- 560 (I know that's terrible!!!). Since the website says I don't need to send in Subject Tests if I took the ACT, should I send the subject test scores in or not?
Post edited by ummy on

Replies to: Do YOU think I can get in???

• franglishfranglish Registered User Posts: 2,308 Senior Member
    First of all, you say you don't want to send in your SAT I score. So, if you decide to send in your SAT II scores, the SAT I will automatically go in, unless the policy is changing as of this year's seniors. Check that out before you do anything. I know the policy will be changing, just don't know when.

As for your stats, the only thing you can do is apply. You'll never get in if you don't apply. Just don't limit yourself to Brown. There are thousands of other very good candidates, which you certainly would be.
  • ummyummy Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    franglish, i remembered as soon as i submitted my post that SAT I scores are sent w/ subject test scores. i appreciate your advice, i am not limiting myself to brown and i have a list of colleges that i will apply to. thanks for your post!
  • franglishfranglish Registered User Posts: 2,308 Senior Member
    Go for it!
  • pineapplelolliepineapplelollie Registered User Posts: 427 Member
    Does being 1st Generation actually matter? I mean, I am Asian, so I doubt it does...

But does Brown look to see if you are the first to go to college in your family?

I have two older siblings, but both of them started out in junior colleges...so I guess it doesn't count for me anymore?
    i don't know if it counts actually! my counselor was surprised that i was a first gen american so i just listed it here...
    oh and i'm not sure if brown looks to see if i'm the first in the family...
    Ohh, I see.
    Thanks!
  • fireandrainfireandrain Registered User Posts: 4,737 Senior Member
    Being the first in your family to go to college is very important to Brown -- it is a hook. Being a first-generation American isn't necessarily something of interest, but that depends on your family circumstances.
    thanks for everyone's input so far! anybody else want to weigh in on my chances?
    Yup, thanks for the info, fireandrain.

Anyways ummy, I think you have a better chance than me. :) Although I have great ec's, I am lacking gpa wise.

But just wondering, are you applying ED or RD?
    RD because I want to see what kind of fin. aid i'll get.
    --first off, in the Nine4Peace, it should say "encourage divestment", not "stop divestment"...sorry!

--bump...anyone else?
This discussion has been closed.