Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rigor of Seminar Classes

bpatel890bpatel890 Registered User Posts: 211 Junior Member
edited July 2008 in Brown University
hey, i got placed into Freedom, a seminar class under the poly sci dept, and i just wanted to know how rigorous it is, because i also plan on taking econ 110, chem 33, math 18, and engin3...so i would like to know if i'd be able to handle the work load...or if its just simply too hard! thanks
Post edited by bpatel890 on

Replies to: Rigor of Seminar Classes

• MattyBMattyB Registered User Posts: 409 Member
    whoa, slow down there buddy

first of all, i highly highly, highly.... highly highly recommend that you DO NOT take more than 4 classes your first semester at brown. you have no idea how much work a college class is, let alone the classes you plan on taking (chem 33 alone, if i'm not mistaken, has been known to be a tougher than thou course). your first semester at brown is about discovery, and that is NOT only academic - it is also (if not, mainly -- sorry parents out there in CC land) about social and extracurricular. taking 5 courses, for the sake of taking 5 courses, will effectively ruin your opportunities outside of class/studies to do what college is mainly about - growing as a person. you have 4 years - try 4 classes first, then see how you can do with 5 - some even opt for 3.

now, your original question - i have no idea what this specific course is in poly sci, but i can assure you that seminars are usually much more difficult than large classes - and that's because you actually have to do the reading and the work for seminars (capped at 20, mostly). poly sci will be a tonnnn of reading (any humanities would be), and a seminar, wowza

anyway, i hope you take this message as a warning, but by no means as a command. some people do very well with 5 courses their first semester, and lead very "normal" lives - but the majority of brown students advise against it, and you would be very wise to drop one of your 5 courses down to 4 -- if i were u, i'd drop engin3 or chem 33, depending on your specific major (if ur engineering, i can't help you there - that's a totally different world i'm not aware of)

good luck!
This discussion has been closed.