Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

comparative literature at brown?

peachyogurtpeachyogurt Registered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
edited August 2008 in Brown University
hey i'd like to know if the comparative lit program at brown is....well if it's a good program. i'm interested in becoming a journalist after college but i'm not sure so i'm not going to go to a preprofessional school (ex. medill at northwestern). anyway i'm thinking about comp lit in literary translation or with eng and 2 foreign literatures (something along those lines).

are the courses challenging? or is it one of the easier concentrations at brown? also, is writing emphasized? any info would be appreciated, thanks!
Post edited by peachyogurt on

Replies to: comparative literature at brown?

• wolfmanjackwolfmanjack Registered User Posts: 1,167 Senior Member
    Idk but I do know of Arnold Weinstein. Heard him speak at convocation. Pretty awesome.
  • brown1996brown1996 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    I was a comparative literature major at brown, albeit about a decade ago. At least back then, the department was great. Since you can take classes in other departments, like English or foreign language departments, to fulfill your requirements, I took only a handful of actual Comp. Lit. classes, and they were more challenging than any of the other classes I took (except a class in the Modern Culture and Media Department ("MCM")). Overall, I was very satisfied with the department. If I had to do it over again, however, I would have seriously considered majoring in Semiotics in the MCM Department.
This discussion has been closed.