Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

President Simmons Informs about the effect of the economy on Brown

2»

Replies to: President Simmons Informs about the effect of the economy on Brown

• fireandrainfireandrain Registered User Posts: 4,737 Senior Member
    I did a little checking on MiPerson, looking at his posts, a while ago. He appears to be military, went to Notre Dame. His kid got into Notre Dame early, but is applying to Yale. He has said he would pay for his kid to go to Yale, but not Notre Dame. Since ND is a good school, and this guy is an alum -- that is pretty low.

Other than his kid having toured Brown, he seems to have no connection to the school. His kid isn't applying. Maybe he was rejected 30+ years ago and this is his revenge? It's the only reason (and a petty one at that) for him to insist on posting ridiculous and inflammatory statements about Brown.
  • MiPerson80MiPerson80 Registered User Posts: 298 Junior Member
    that's real nice and personal. but the point here was to discuss the financial situation
  • MiPerson80MiPerson80 Registered User Posts: 298 Junior Member
    also, I do have a connection to Brown and the tour was nice but my s made the decision not to apply, not me.

But let's all agree that the economy has everyone stressed but I do believe that the private elite schools are not helping as much as they should and doing enough to sacrifice.
  • modestmelodymodestmelody Registered User Posts: 4,654 Senior Member
    Sacrifice what? Brown's expenditures have been aimed at very specific goals-- I don't always agree with those goals but they have certainly been educational. Expanding the faculty, increasing financial aid substantially, this year promising an increase not in proportion with years past, constructing new seminar classrooms to alleviate the crunch on spaces for small classes, guaranteeing funding for 5 years for graduate students, building a new life sciences hall which expanded lab space on campus by 70%?

Tuition at Brown is not 49k a year, not to mention how much financial aid we award so the actual costs for many students is not the full price (I certainly don't pay full price, and it was as expensive for me to go to Brown as anywhere else I applied where I got merit scholarship, btw).

What do they need to "sacrifice"? The quality of their education? There are still many things I think Brown needs to spend money on to be all it wants to be. There are still many areas left we can improve that are obvious and would make Brown a better place for undergraduates. Why is it that a private school spending money to improve education is seen as a negative by you MiPerson? It's not like we have castle-like dorms or gourmet food at Brown-- that's not where we've spent the money and it's painfully obvious. We've been spending on educational needs (direct or indirect)-- how is that doing a disservice to students?

Why attack Brown for increasing it's faculty by 100 in the last four years? Why is that bad? Why attack Brown for becoming need-blind for American's in that time and doing more to secure money for graduate education support? Why attack Brown for updating facilities that were seriously behind the norm to state of the art for neuroscience, genetics, cell bio, molecular bio, bio chemistry, and medical science research?

Education these days cost more money-- and at Brown it has nothing to do with building things to attract students. I could see this complaint if we bought half of Providence, leveled it, and made dorms fit for royalty for all students to live in. That's not what's going on at Brown.

Boldly Brown: Campaign for Academic Enrichment

Money priorities right now.
2»
This discussion has been closed.