Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is it possible to get in without a hook?

ajlangsajlangs User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 134 Junior Member
edited February 2009 in Brown University
I'll admit it: I don't have a hook. I'm in the top of my class, president of NHS, have been working towards my Gold Award, etc., etc. But I have no hook. I am a Caucasian agnostic from New Hampshire; I like writing but I haven't published a novel or anything, really, and while I love academia and intellectual exploration I haven't done anything incredible or cured cancer or fed starving children in Africa.

Am I doomed? I lovelovelove Brown, and I stressed the whole intellectual curiosity and my other ECs, etc.--especially the fact that I practically grew up at my grandmother's farm, where we grow and can enough vegetables to get us through the winter. (And make our own maple syrup, but that's a bit random.) Assuming I'm average in terms of other applicants when it comes to grades and ECs, d'you think I have a chance, what with no super amazing hook?
Post edited by ajlangs on

Replies to: Is it possible to get in without a hook?

• fireandrainfireandrain Registered User Posts: 4,737 Senior Member
    Many students accepted to Brown have no so-called "hook." I've seen many of these students accepted over the years. But the acceptance rate is very low. Of course, the acceptance rate is low for everyone, even students with these "hooks."
  • superwomansuperwoman Registered User Posts: 751 Member
    See, I'm the complete opposite of you (lol). I'm a haitian born (us citizen now soo happy!), and I love wolunteering, I've written a business plan for a national competitions I won that I sen tto brown, and I received a National Youth Advocacy award from my governor, I have amazing ec's and volunteer work but my standardized tests aren't up to par, like waay below the 25 percentile but my grades are up there. I think you still have a chance. I mean not too many people ever even seen a farm other then TV (lol) . I personally never been on one. So I think you do, if you love Brown and it jumps off your application there can be some hope. I hope that Brown can look past my test scores, but who knows! I'm not an adcom (lol). Just relax, you applied, that's the only chance you have of getting in is by applying. Congrats to you! (Lol) Good Luck!
  • franglishfranglish Registered User Posts: 2,308 Senior Member
    Yes, it's possible. My D, a current soph from New York City, was accepted without a "hook," other than her brilliance :)!
  • SpicyChipmunkSpicyChipmunk Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    White, male, bio major from NH. Yes, it does happen :)
  • AFox99AFox99 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    hey ajlangs: are you applying for '13 and wondering if you'll get in, or are you applying next year?
  • ajlangsajlangs User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 134 Junior Member
    I'm applying for '13. I don't really expect to get in, just because the chances are so small, but I'd be thrilled if I did. Anyways, thanks for the reassurances, guys! At least when I get rejected I'll know it's not because I lack a hook. :]
  • StillClaySoulStillClaySoul - Posts: 10 New Member
    hooks are highly overrated.
    you'd be surprised how many kids here are "normal"
  • thecomisarthecomisar Registered User Posts: 2,125 Senior Member
    Of course kids get in without hooks.

I'm a white/Jewish female from suburban northern California with college-educated parents. Bio major/premed. No atypical ECs or anything.
  • AFox99AFox99 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    thanks, thecomisar. it just gets tiring watching all these stats broken down into a fine powder. at some point i am hoping that my education at brown will also be about becoming a normally functioning human being and not the next generation of X-men!
This discussion has been closed.