Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

For those who attend Brown: Do you consider it a "party" school?

Replies to: For those who attend Brown: Do you consider it a "party" school?

• muerteapablomuerteapablo - Posts: 1,412 Senior Member
    I second justbreathe. If you want acid or pot brownies, the only school in Boston where you're guaranteed to find it is MIT. The parties there can be very crazy.
  • inconspicuous.s.n.inconspicuous.s.n. Registered User Posts: 420 Member
    MIT? Are you kidding me?
  • modestmelodymodestmelody Registered User Posts: 4,654 Senior Member
    ::shrugs::

Pot brownies are easy to find anywhere. MIT was not all that wild when I stayed there for a weekend with friends, but I'll take the Boston kid's word for it.
  • superwomansuperwoman Registered User Posts: 751 Member
    Yea I live in Boston, and MIT is known for throwing wild parties! They party and study hard lol. Most of the people that attend are from other Boston schools ive heard. That was one of the reasons i wanted to :)
  • dynasty22dynasty22 Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    I've been to a few MIT parties and they weren't totally over the top, although I do enjoy them alot. Their frats have some very very nice houses.
  • LAconfidentialLAconfidential Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    "I second justbreathe. If you want acid or pot brownies, the only school in Boston where you're guaranteed to find it is MIT. The parties there can be very crazy."

uhhhh it rains cocaine at brown. CASE CLOSED.
    LOL.

In four years at Brown I've never seen coke here, and believe me, it's not that my eyes are closed.
    LAConfidential, where do you go to college?

Brown is not a coke school. I've seen it only once before, when I was with two kids from Cornell. They were extremely wealthy, though; I don't think that it's the norm there, either.
  • wolfmanjackwolfmanjack Registered User Posts: 1,167 Senior Member
    I've heard of a couple of people doing coke but never seen this happen.
  • Old College TryOld College Try Registered User Posts: 310 Member
    My cousin goes to Brown. At Christmas, he told me that he went to Brown and became a herbivore. When I said, "Huh?" he replied, I'm a herbivore because I subsist primarily on herb -- you know, weed!" He partied some in high school but he wasn't a stoner or anything. But he is now. He's a big stoner. He claims to smoke dope every day. I can't know if he's being honest, but that's what he claimed. He also said that he's smoked pot openly on campus several times and no one says anything. He didn't mention coke.
    1) Using dope for marijuana is weird -- dope is heroin.

2) Pot is pretty frequently used around campus. Less than drinking, but still fairly prevalent. However, it's most prevalent freshman year and less prevalent later, in my experience. It's not much different than high school in terms of level of use, again, in my experience.

3) Walking around with a Michael Phelps style bong pipe is not going to go over well. If you were smoking a spliff, however, it's unlikely anyone is going to go and stop you. That being said, the only times I've ever seen anyone smoking pot very openly in public were on 4/20 and at the Spring Weekend concert outdoors.

4) Brown doesn't police the dorms for alcohol and pot violations.
  • yournamehereyournamehere Registered User Posts: 1,588 Senior Member
    i don't mind...AT ALL. but i would love to get in first. i don't know what to think
  • wolfmanjackwolfmanjack Registered User Posts: 1,167 Senior Member
    #1 Why do people make such a big deal about weed when alcohol is considered to be okay.

#2 Brown might bust you for weed or alcohol if they are lying around your room during room inspections depending on who is inspecting. They (I used to do this) will mark the presence of alcohol if it is in plain sight no matter whose room it is.
  • LAconfidentialLAconfidential Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    muerteapablo, the kids at cornell are too driven to do coke.
    too driven to do coke.

Well, drug use propensity has less to do with ambition than it does with personality type, but I can confidently tell you that many driven people love cocaine. Perhaps you've heard of Wall Street?
This discussion has been closed.