Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What is Brown Good At?

Replies to: What is Brown Good At?

• superwomansuperwoman Registered User Posts: 751 Member
    jerzgrlmom- really, hmm, maybe I should have applied for that Brown/RISD option...can I attend Brown and still take courses at RISD? Also, I didn't even know there was medical illustration courses available! Now I'm super excited if I get into Brown! That is so cool!

icebox4- Thanks! I'm definetly investigating those course options!
  • wolfmanjackwolfmanjack Registered User Posts: 1,167 Senior Member
    I was going to take that class before I read the syllabus which said it required 20 hours a week of work plus tons of materials.
  • 174IQPartier174IQPartier Registered User Posts: 256 Junior Member
    Brown isn't good at much.
    It's a school which relies a lot on its Ivy League label.
    If Brown wasn't called an "Ivy League", no one would be recommending it because while it is a good school- it isn't a great school.
    Try Duke or Penn- schools which will actually prepare you for the real world.
  • modestmelodymodestmelody Registered User Posts: 4,654 Senior Member
    Considering Brown's increase in applications (21%) puts it at the highest growth of any university/college nationwide that has competitive admissions, the 25k kids applying this year are laughing at you 174IQPartier.

Let me guess, high school junior?
  • superwomansuperwoman Registered User Posts: 751 Member
    wolfmanjack- Ooo, I see, I may have to look for more options. hmm..
  • franglishfranglish Registered User Posts: 2,308 Senior Member
    1741QPartier, what could you possibly be basing your claim on? There is just no way you know anything about this school. Otherwise you would never say anything so silly. Brown is a wonderful school, but it certainly is not for everyone. The amount of personal motivation required to figure out the best way to use Brown's system productively precludes all but the best from applying to this wonderful place. It probably takes a good year, year and a half to hit one's stride. It is not alone because there are many excellent schools. But it is unique. If its philosophy is not for you, then, by all means, don't apply there. Believe me, the ad com has more than enough to read-- 25,000 this year-- without you.
  • 174IQPartier174IQPartier Registered User Posts: 256 Junior Member
    I'm asking you to think about this: Where would Brown be if it wasn't part of the Ivy League, given everything else about it is the same?
    I can tell you that it wouldn't have 25000 (with at least 75% of them being resume-padding whores) applying...

I'm not saying Brown is a bad school.
    I think more so that it is overrated.
  • swangswang Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    I personally could care less that it is an Ivy. I want to go to Brown because it's an amazing school.
    It's okay everyone it's just the cyclical d-bag post from some young punk who has his head up his rear. No biggy. Don't feed the ****.
  • icebox4icebox4 Registered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    /sigh

(10 char)
  • kshields90kshields90 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Modestymelody- cut it with the catty (and inane) replies. I'm sure you find them witty, but they offer nothing to this thread. "If you've got nothing nice to say, don't say it at all."

I'm looking to Brown as a transfer, and I'd say it looks good at practically everything. Granted, it is an Ivy, which, as 174IQPartier so aptly put it, may mean that it attracts an applicant base with 75% being "resume padding whores". But its being an Ivy also means that it attracts very brainy kids and very brainy professors (or at least one would hope). Its small class sizes and academic flexibility seem to make it a perfect place for those interested in a intimate and expansive education. Simply the fact that Brown has no undergrad. requirements should indicate that it is a school that does everything well. Being as I'm not actually there yet I can't offer any evidence to the contrary. Perhaps there is someone out there who can?
  • kshields90kshields90 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Modestymelody- cut it with the catty (and inane) replies. I'm sure you find them witty, but they offer nothing to this thread. "If you've got nothing nice to say, don't say it at all."

I'm looking to Brown as a transfer, and I'd say it looks good at practically everything. Granted, it is an Ivy, which, as 174IQPartier so aptly put it, may mean that it attracts an applicant base with 75% being "resume padding whores". But its being an Ivy also means that it attracts very brainy kids and very brainy professors (or at least one would hope). Its small class sizes and academic flexibility seem to make it a perfect place for those interested in a intimate and expansive education. Simply the fact that Brown has no undergrad. requirements should indicate that it is a school that does everything well. Being as I'm not actually there yet I can't offer any evidence to the contrary. Perhaps there is someone out there who can?
  • modestmelodymodestmelody Registered User Posts: 4,654 Senior Member
    kshields-- as someone who has written significantly on this web page about Brown, possibly sharing more information about the university than anyone else who has been on this site, it can be frustrating when people don't look back and find questions that have been asked 1500 times and answered extensively in the past. CC has some very strict policies about posting that ensures that our threads stay in existence as a reference source-- it'd be nice if users utilize the forums in that fashion.

174IQPartier is a **** and I have little tolerance for ****. No need to be nice to them.

The fact that we have no undergraduate requirements has little to do with how well or not we're doing. For more on that :
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/brown-university/385841-brown-curriculum-university-college-explained.html

While I certainly feel we're strong across the university, as with anywhere else, there are some areas which have more prominence than others. Geology, neuroscience, and computer science, for instance, are three fields that we're certainly one of the top few in the country for undergraduate education.
    2nded with everything modest said.

kshields you should have a little more respect for people who have committed just a tad more (2,293 posts in modest's case, about 1,000 in mine counting my older username) to this board than you have.
  • BrownParentBrownParent Registered User Posts: 12,776 Senior Member
    In case anyone didn't know:

Brown is one of the top in the country for Applied Math
This discussion has been closed.