Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

official "we don't have a chance" thread but we still love Brown!

Replies to: official "we don't have a chance" thread but we still love Brown!

• superwomansuperwoman Registered User Posts: 751 Member
    xSteven- im sorry to hear about your encounter. i had a similar horrifying experience with a stalker last summer who tried to rape me, but thank the Lord i got away. i hope you do well on the interview! sometiwhen negative things in my life occur I always turn it into something positive, especially since theyve made me a stronger person. again, its unfortunate things like that could ever occur to a child : (
    Good Luck!
  • newjerseykidnewjerseykid Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    male
    number 1 public high school in state
    gpa: 3.82
    sat:2200
    white

7 ap's
    solid A-/A student..with a few b's in math unfortunately

solid essays and pretty good rec's
    few leadership positions + newspaper editor
    scholastic writing national award
    english research internship
    cty writing course

but no real hoooks:((((( so i really dont stand out of a crowd of 20,000 3.8/2200 white kids from an overrepresented state..how sad
  • xStevenxSteven Registered User Posts: 1,400 Senior Member
    Um, good job taking over this thread when she was talking about bad stats.
  • casey_of_heartscasey_of_hearts Registered User Posts: 93 Junior Member
    female
    UW GPA: 3.85
    W GPA: 4.54

SAT I (here comes trouble): CR 800, M540, W 720
    SAT IIs: Lit 680, US Hist 780, World Hist 790

AP Exam Scores: Envi Sci-4, Art Hist-5, Euro Hist-5

Extracurriculars: Tennis, Theater, Art. Devote serious amount of time to all three of these

Senior Year Schedule:
    AP English Lit (on-line)
    AP U.S. Gov/ AP Comp. Gov (on-line)
    AP Spanish
    Physics (no honors offered at my HS)
    Master Studio (advanced art)
    English IV Honors
    Gym (required)
    Photography (had to take a tech to graduate)

As for my essays, they actually were pretty creative. My "Why Brown?" short essay was a rap/poem, and my other Brown essay ("tell us about an interesting learning experience, book, project, etc..yada yada) was about Hamlet and its various interpretations...I even mentioned "The Lion King," haha.

Haha, but still no shot. They would only give me a chance if I got to fully explain that 70% of seniors go straight to community college, I'm the first AP scholar in my school's forty-year history, and I was the first sophomore to ever take an AP class. I did explain this to my interviewer, though.
  • conquestorconquestor Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    FB lalaland, you go to Churchill, right?
  • CrystalProphecyCrystalProphecy Registered User Posts: 820 Member
    Don't worry! about 60% of mine go to community college and like a 30% more go to state schools.

So that only leaves 10% for UCs and higher-leved schools. About 60 kids at my school.

I won't post my all my stats up, but the weakest part of my app is that I have a 2180 SAT. Nowhere near the 2300s that all my friends have, but I'm hoping that Brown doesn't evaluate SAT I scores too stringently!
  • bicyclekickbicyclekick Registered User Posts: 958 Member
    ^ 2180 is not low, if thats the weakest part of your app, then you have a pretty strong app
  • Shady LaneShady Lane Registered User Posts: 258 Junior Member
    **cheers for Marylanders**
  • ddp08228ddp08228 - Posts: 109 Junior Member
    I know I don't have a chance, just applied for the hell of it...sad, brown was my dream school =(

South Asian (Indian) Male from Houston, Texas

Gpa- 3.8 (Unweighted), 94/100(weighted)
    Class rank- Barely making top 20 percent...=(, my school is ridiculously compietive, but Brown wouldn't care, they only take 3 percent of the kids who are not in the top 10 percent....and I am not a Urm, legacy, or athlete, and a lot of kids apply from Texas.

Sat Scores
    C.R.-750
    Math-720
    Writing-700
    Reading and Math-1470/1600
    Total-2170/2400

Taken 10 A.P.s by the time i graduate and 7-8 honors classes / 28 total classes.....My rank is weighted....
  • erika27erika27 Registered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
    oh, yay, i get to vent all of my brown admissions angst with some stats!

providence, RI
    female
    hispanic - colombian, specifically
    public high school
    GPA - 3.76
    rank - 17/282
    SAT I: total 2070 - breakdown: CR 790, M 640, W 640
    SAT IIs: Literature 680, French 550

my school does not offer AP classes. i've taken 6 honors classes.

School Clubs: assistant crew director of the school's drama group, National Honor Society, international club, math club, literacy team

Volunteer Work: for 3 years, i have been math tutoring once a week at a local junior high school.

Work/Internships: i've never had a "real" job, but i've been a on-again/off-again guitar student teacher at the music instruction school where i personally take lessons. this year, i've been an intern at the International Institute of RI, an organization which helps immigrants get settled and get all the paperwork they need to get a green card, citizenship, worker's certification, etc.

essays: i loved my common app essay (: it's the only part of my application i am really confident about. but my why brown essay- eh, not so great.

*sighs* alas, brown, i hardly knew ye.
  • CrystalProphecyCrystalProphecy Registered User Posts: 820 Member
    I know I don't have a chance, just applied for the hell of it...sad, brown was my dream school =(

South Asian (Indian) Male from Houston, Texas

Gpa- 3.8 (Unweighted), 94/100(weighted)
    Class rank- Barely making top 20 percent...=(, my school is ridiculously compietive, but Brown wouldn't care, they only take 3 percent of the kids who are not in the top 10 percent....and I am not a Urm, legacy, or athlete, and a lot of kids apply from Texas.

Sat Scores
    C.R.-750
    Math-720
    Writing-700
    Reading and Math-1470/1600
    Total-2170/2400

Taken 10 A.P.s by the time i graduate and 7-8 honors classes / 28 total classes.....My rank is weighted....

I'm sorry, but for some reason I'm not comprehending this. I have 8 APs and 4 honors and that's already a pretty tough course-load. Where's your ill confidence coming from? Rank?
  • evanbangevanbang Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    OP has a very good chance because she is Black.
    Everyone else has decent stats to get considered.
    Jesus.
    crystalprophecy- I soo agree! That person looks like a strong candidate to me! I definetly set up this post for those who have less then 2000 SAT scores which is 100 points within the middle 50 %! Damn, where is the weakness guys? (lol) I'm the one who should be worried lmao!

erika27- I think you're good! I don't see why you would doubt yourself, no offense but I would love to have your SAT score :(....I hate that the one thing standing between me and a dream is stupid standardized tests...but whatever...what can you do! I think your good : ) & we soo have the same gpa, let's be best friends! (lol)

Good Luck everyone else & I wanna start a countdown, I'm so excited to find out!
    evanbang- you really think so? I don't think it will be considered, I don't know it's hard for me to believe that a school would give my application a second look because I'm "black" although I hate being referred to as so. (only because I'm Haitian-so hard to explain (lol) my parents don't consider themselves "black" ) But I guess, I still know there are definetly other strong minority applicants. Thanks anyway!
  • ontheradioontheradio Registered User Posts: 307 Member
    compare to me you guys have excellent stats!

good luck to you all :)
This discussion has been closed.