Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

official "we don't have a chance" thread but we still love Brown!

Replies to: official "we don't have a chance" thread but we still love Brown!

• superwomansuperwoman Registered User Posts: 751 Member
    Thanks! Good luck to you too! :)
  • heygirlhey!heygirlhey! Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    NewJerseyKid,
    We are the EXACT same person (school type, ethnicity, number of ap's) except my scores+gpa are a TINY bit higher (10 points + 0.1) and I didn't win scolastic...so I kinda stand a waaaaay worse chance.
    Woot woot! Over-represented REPRESENTTTT!!!
  • fortune3fortune3 Registered User Posts: 117 Junior Member
    no offense, but I think this thread focuses too much on SAT scores. Yes a around 2000 SAT score is generally in the lower quarter of scores, but I'm still convinced that schools care more about your courses, class rank (gpa varies too much from school to school to matter in my opinion) and school profiles. Otherwise, the 25% of people who score around that wouldn't exist. I have a feeling that Brown in particular cares more about interesting people than numbers on a paper. Anyways I love Brown too and want to just wish all good luck.
    Thats true, you make a point there! Its just my GC told me i shouldnt of even applied bc they wouldnt look at my app. bc of my low SAT scores, he said other then that my URM status is the only thing that might help, but i know thats soo not true. Im crossing my fingers! Good Luck to you too! In the end, whether I end up going to Brown or not, i just want to be happy! :)
  • pineapplelolliepineapplelollie Registered User Posts: 427 Member
    Is it true that there is such a thing as automatic rejection...?

That they will not even glance at my app after seeing my grades (I have quite a few C's).
  • ellehcimellehcim Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Ahh, I have no chance either.

midwest
    female, asian, public high school.
    gpa-4.79/5
    rank - top twenty percent.
    act - 33
    I haven't looked at my essays in.. a long time but I'm pretty sure.. not as good as the ones I wrote for later apps.

I'm working on my work ethic. If I get rejected, which I'm kind of expecting.. (but not wanting to be so defeatist quite yet), I hope I will have a chance as a transfer.
    pineaplelollie- I hope not! Lol, I dont think so, like the adcoms usually say its a "holistic" process, but we dont know what goes on through an adcoms head while reading a gajillion apps a day! lol :)
  • newjerseykidnewjerseykid Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    haha heygirlhey...i think thats what scares me that im juts the typical white boy with no outstanding scores or I havent published a book or dont anything truly unique..i have no hooks, no urm, no amazing story justifying my bad math grades (straight B's through HS)
  • R-DNAR-DNA Registered User Posts: 257 Junior Member
    I totally loved the title of this thread...
    hehe. Thanks!
    I had an epiphany while reading those "I know I have a chance but I just want you to see my stats" threads (lol)
    seriously, nobody can give you a chance but you can mope around this thread about your "low" stats & what-not! (lol)

newjerseykid- I soo don't think you have to have a hook or that "special" ingredient, bc when you ask the students that get in "how did you get in?", half of them have no idea how to answer you (Lol) most likely they were shocked when they did.

okay, so I had to check my countdown!:

53 days
    1286 hours
    77201 minutes
    4632067seconds

8:19 AM (eastern time)

I just think it's the anxiety!...I want to know soo bad..
  • ontheradioontheradio Registered User Posts: 307 Member
    superwoman: i wanna know so bad too!!
    i'm seriously gonna be sitting at my computer screen when the day comes..
    pressing refresh over and over right after school even though i know the decision comes later in the evening.
    ugh!! march please come now!
    hah yeaa.
    But before we know it will be here.
    & Seniors around the world whom applied RD will have one month to make that BIG decision of who to send the deposit too! Ahh...my April vaca. is going to be crazy! (lol)

still counting down!

:)
  • jiessjiess Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    Race: Asian
    School: Private, admission-competitive
    GPA: 92%
    ACT: N/A
    SAT I: CR 720 M 770 W 640 (wasn't awake enough for the essay...)
    SAT IIs: Math 1- 740 Bio E -? Lit - ?
    AP/IB: IB diploma - HL English a1, history, visual arts, SL bio, math, spanish ab.

Junior: 90 average
    Senior: 92 average

ECs:
    accordion (grade 6 diploma), piano (grade 9 diploma after four years + scholarship + 13 awards at music festivals)
    visual arts + photography stuff
    badminton; school team, recreational, club, school club

Volunteer Work:
    odd stuff here and there, mostly art and music festivals
    founded a community service project targetting adolescent immigrants in unstable families

Work/Research Experience (in the summer):

-interned for a local artist
    -trained for badminton with an ex-national coach
    -part-time jobs selling shoes.. haha

Essays: like it or hate it
    Teacher Recs: one good, one meh
    Counselor Rec: no idea
    Why brown essay: pretty weak.

sigh..

countdown until admissions decision:

51 days
  • stacyx09stacyx09 Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    I love Brown and Columbia, but I've known pretty much since I decided to apply that the odds are (especially with my luck) highly unlikely that I'm actually going to get in. Not that I'm not qualified or anything, but because I realize the vast number of other applicants, who, like me, are also qualified or even more so. I decided to apply anyway on the off chance that I actually did...
  • heygirlhey!heygirlhey! Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    NJ = me too for all (no book, no hook, etc)...except I have bad English grades frosh and senior year, . Which is especially bad since I APPLIED for English hahahahaha. I also wrote in the essay that I was interested in math too, which I happen to be much better at...(woot woot 5 on BC last year). I tried to play my hook being passionate about combining math and english in some interdisciplinary madness...but most likely failed. STILL I have my fingers crossed for myself and ALL of us on this thread!

@stacy, the reason you applied to Brown and Columbia = the reason I applied to 8 of the 13 schools I applied to. When throwing darts, it's best to throw as many as you can...
This discussion has been closed.