Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

official "we don't have a chance" thread but we still love Brown!

Replies to: official "we don't have a chance" thread but we still love Brown!

• GanDhIizRiPpiNGanDhIizRiPpiN Registered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
    ^ calm down. You really should not come in a we don't have a chance thread and flaunt a near 2200. SATS are important, that is why a whole section of CC is devoted to it. I don't see a section devoted to GPA... If you would bother to research Brown you would see that Brown has 50% of its students having a 750 on either math or reading.....

Thanks for the consoling superwoman, I do suppose a 2020 isn't all too bad, but my math and reading are below browns 25%. And my darn 590 on the subject test... Haha I hope we get in; Brown is so amazing! I really wish they would have asked a why brown essay. We would've owned at that.

But lets not argue and just hope for the best in march. If not then lets transfer next year, if not next year and so on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BROWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.
    I also wanted to note that a lot of our major weaknesses are SATS.

IF we all really studied the SATS and get a decent score then with our combined good e.c involvement and leadership will boost us up and hopefully we can transfer next year.

Barack Obama transfered o Harvard. Anything is possible and we all are special.
  • RobertoGonzalezRobertoGonzalez Registered User Posts: 257 Junior Member
    ^ I thought he first went to Occidental and then transferred to Columbia.
    ^ oh my mistake he transferred to columbia. your correct.
  • Prov13Prov13 - Posts: 44 Junior Member
    yeah, obama went to oxy and transferred to columbia.

sure, sats are important, but they're not the end all. class rank/gpa is certainly more important to brown than sats, and while they may have very high averages, it's because they have a highly talented applicant pool to choose from.

the reporting for the sat averages is only for the ridiculous purpose of college ranking. sats, at least in my experience with the 10 or so kids my school has sent to brown in the past 4 years, are not very important. while they are a component of your application, i've been told they're weighted even less than the interview.

just my .2¢
  • superwomansuperwoman Registered User Posts: 751 Member
    im so glad i started this thread! And yes we shouldnt argue I just wish for the best! Honestly, it all doesnt matter in the end, when we look back and we're out of school, what only matters is thatl we're happy for the next four years! Hopefully at Brown! :)
    Can someone get into Brown if they have a D in their transcript? Or do they look at it and say, "auto reject"?
    tlowell: Yes I have heard that Brown doesnt really care about the SATS.

However, I find it too hard to believe. Its 25% -75% is just like every other ivy. Very HIGH Sats in my opinion, So i think SATS do matter. I have not seen someone get into Brown with a 1500 combined and with no hooks (i.e. minority or athlete or 1st generation).

Brown is unique but just look at almost every accepted person to Brown. HIGH SATS....

my .02 dollars.(haha not cents tlowell :P) lol.)
    robberto someone can get into brown with a D. If someoen has a 2400 sat and 1600 subject tests and in 30 clubs and president of them all. Hahaha.

Just kidding. Can you be more specific about those circumstances, is it in an ap class, were you sick, tough times? I would explain it and send it to brown.

Plently peole have gotten in with worse. thats for true. :)
    ^

Yep, it was AP Physics C. It was a hard class, I'd never taken an ounce of physics before, the teacher was terrible, and above all, I just suck at physics. There's no way for me to explain that in a letter, though, because "I'm dumb" doesn't come across as a convincing reason.

Can you elaborate on the people who have gotten in with worse grades? Can great ECs make up for it?
  • pineapplelolliepineapplelollie Registered User Posts: 427 Member
    I'm pretty sure a D will hurt you, but definitely but won't kill you.

I talked to a person on CC who got in ED with some C's and even a D.
    yes roberto your ecs can make up for it. ap physics C would be acceptable.

You can explain it, you just did to me. :P

If you have never taken physics before (it goes physics honors, ap physics B, and then ap physics C) and get a D its very understandable. Why would any school expect you to get a "A" in a class that you skipped 2 years of!!

Write a formal letter and fax it(mail is too slow, fax get their same day and may be mentioned in your brown account sooner) and say you decided to take a challenging class
    without any pre requisites and ended up getting a passing grade. Brown will see it is a student challenging themselves and doing worse then taking the easy way out.
    Explain it right away to Brown, trust me they will understand.

if student a takes honor and gets an "A" and student B takes ap and gets a "b" student B is better because he challenged himself.

Explain it dude. and hurry up send it in monday they are reviewing apps. And send it to me before you send it, don't make it sound to informal. I will help you write it if you want. :)
  • Colleges00701Colleges00701 - Posts: 1,790 Senior Member
    ^^^ thank-you tlowell91..I completly agree, NOW DO YOU GUYS SEE WHY I AM WORRIED ABOUT AN AMAZING SCHOOL LIKE BROWN? lol
    Thanks, GanDhIizRiPpiN, but I'm not sure writing a letter is the best idea. "Physics was too hard for me waa waa" just sounds like such a pathetic excuse. :) Hopefully they'll take a look at my transcript and have a laugh about the loser who went into AP Physics without a clue of physics....
    ^haha roberto, ok I am pretty sure they will figure it out themselves anyway. gl with brown.
This discussion has been closed.