Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Interview?

pineapplelolliepineapplelollie Registered User Posts: 427 Member
edited February 2009 in Brown University
I just got contacted for an interview. I've been hearing an interview really doesn't affect your chances... but still, I'm pretty nervous.

I was wondering do you guys think a phone interview would be easier than a face-to-face one?

My interviewer gave me the option of both. If I choose to do face-to-face, then I have to go sort of far though... I have to go to LA, which is like a 45-60 min. drive.
Post edited by pineapplelollie on

Replies to: Interview?

• a norma norm Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    maybe phone interview is better. I chose phone as well. cos even the interviewer says it is not important...well, mine interviewer.
  • GoJumbos2013GoJumbos2013 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    I'd go with the phone interview.

My Brown interviewer pulled a no-show on Saturday. I waited at the coffee shop for an hour, and then called the phone # he gave me (pretty sure it was his cell, or maybe it was his work phone) and left a message. No reply. And then I waited another hour. That was 4 days ago.

At first I was worried about him, now I am more disappointed. I know the interview doesn't count for much, and is probably boring and inconsequential for an adult, but for a 17 yr old, it's kind of a big deal.

I got in EA at two other excellent schools, and I believe I have good chances at a few other schools that are equally good. Ideally I can call him back in April and leave him a message that H & Y (whose interviewers *did* show up, by the way) came through. Not a good ad for Brown.. and I had to cancel a shift at work to meet him.

Pffft. Whatever.
  • fireandrainfireandrain Registered User Posts: 4,737 Senior Member
    I'm really sorry that happened to you, GoJumbos, and you need to notify Brown about it. And my rule of thumb for these things is that I rarely wait more than 30 minutes. You should never wait 2 hours for someone.

FYI, I've had students be no-shows to their interviews. Happened this year, actually. So it goes both ways.
  • GoJumbos2013GoJumbos2013 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    Thank you, fireandrain. I realize things happen and things come up. I live with two adults -- lolz -- so I know that adult lives can become as confused and unpredictable as mine. Even more.

My mother said the same thing as you - told me to call admissions too, but now I don't really want to go through an interview with him if I end up getting him in trouble, he'll end up giving me a bad review so I have decided to let it slide. I appreciate you apology as a Brown representative (albeit anonymous:). God, I wish you were my interviewer...

Oh and one thing I should mention that I left out before... there was another girl who came into the coffee shop around the one-hour mark of my ordeal, and was looking around furiously for someone, so I suspect he maybe blew off more people than just me. She seemed pretty upset and her mom came in after about a half hour and they left, pretty unhappy. I guess they knew about the 1/2 hour rule that you mentioned :-) I almost asked her if she was there to see Mr. X from Brown, but she left. I did not recognize her from my H.S., but who knows.

Anyway, thanks again.
  • Prov13Prov13 - Posts: 44 Junior Member
    I would call Brown. You may not want to get a "bad review" from him, but letting it slide won't get you a review from ANYONE and contrary to what everyone's been saying, the interview counts for more than people know.

In fact, according to my interviewer, it's worth even more than SAT scores. You're better off asking for a reassignment. I'm sure Brown wouldn't assign you the same guy if you tell them that he blew you off and refused to return your correspondence.
  • fireandrainfireandrain Registered User Posts: 4,737 Senior Member
    I really do think you should call. And explain that you'd rather a different interviewer under the circumstances.

There are several of you I wouldn't mind interviewing. But I've already done a lot of interviews this year, more than ever before, and I wouldn't be surprised if I have to do more to fill in for all the interviewers in my area who haven't done their interviews yet.
This discussion has been closed.