Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What's so wrong with conservatism?

2»

Replies to: What's so wrong with conservatism?

• nbachris2788nbachris2788 Registered User Posts: 4,447 Senior Member
    ^100% subjective; most of America would disagree with that assertion.

Just like how most of America fondly remembers Gingrich and Bush, right?

I can't tell if you're a snarky liberal trying to undermine my defense of genuine conservatism, or just an ignorant conservative.
  • slipper1234slipper1234 Registered User Posts: 9,084 Senior Member
    In my experience the Ivy conservatives tend to be more libertarian than anything else.
  • nbachris2788nbachris2788 Registered User Posts: 4,447 Senior Member
    In my experience the Ivy conservatives tend to be more libertarian than anything else.

Most Ivy conservatives fancy themselves Buckley-type conservatives (aka intellectual conservatives). They'd be way too embarrassed to associate themselves with the Tea Party types.
  • hahalolkhahalolk Registered User Posts: 1,757 Senior Member
    ^The ones I know follow that pattern. There really is nothing wrong with conservatism, it's just that the republicans have given it a bad reputation. It doesn't help that neither party is willing to hear any of the point of the opposite sides. Both sides just stick together wit those of the same party and insult the opposite side, leading to a large amount of insularity on both sides.
  • Ivystriver2Ivystriver2 Registered User Posts: 431 Member
    I'm a libertarian. Social conservatism is ignorant.
  • mastablastamastablasta Registered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    This thread is filled with truths.
  • AvidStudentAvidStudent Registered User Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    ^The all knowing ****.

I know what I'm about to say is not 100% nor do I believe it to be, but for the simplicity of my post it'll have to do.

Usually when I think of hardcore conservatism, leftists I imagine gunslinging Texans or other Southerners, some of who still have racists thoughts. I tend to associate conservatism with white middle/upper middle class Americans. While liberals in my view is usually associated with the extremes lower class, impoverished, and on the other extreme the rich.

Ivy League schools are known for having a variety of different students, but when it comes down it a lot of Ivy League schools including Brown do have a lot of affluent students. In addition smarter people tend to side with liberal views because, well I'd hate to use an example like abortion, frankly they are more informed on how stem-cell research can be very beneficial. Out of my groups of friends and kids at my school the smarter ones tend to lean more to the right. It's a combination of things from religious view, economic, and political views.

Ivy League students are probably more liberal during their colleges years; once they receive their first paycheck and see how much Uncle Sam takes away it might be a different story. ;)
  • AvidStudentAvidStudent Registered User Posts: 1,186 Senior Member
    Usually when I think of hardcore conservatism, rightists* I imagine gunslinging Texans or other Southerners, some of who still have racists thoughts.

Out of my groups of friends and kids at my school the smarter ones tend to lean more to the left*.

Sorry it's been a long day. :(
2»
This discussion has been closed.