Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do admission officers like applicants who have many volunteer hours?

RainbowSprinklesRainbowSprinkles Registered User Posts: 1,703 Senior Member
edited September 2010 in Brown University
I'm talking about over 150hr?
Post edited by RainbowSprinkles on

Replies to: Do admission officers like applicants who have many volunteer hours?

• coocoocachoocoocoocachoo Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    They certainly won't dislike you for volunteering.
  • chsowlflax17chsowlflax17 Registered User Posts: 941 Member
    150+ hours?! That means you're sure to get in!

Really, it's just an activity. Everyone and their uncle volunteers. But volunteering sure beats not volunteering (unless you write a really cool essay how you hate those fakers who volunteer for no good, and you wanna be real. THAT could actually be a boost, depending on how you pull it off).
  • sententiasententia Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    If you only did a little volunteering, and it isn't particularly interesting, is it worth putting on your application? I read that admissions might interpret activities that seem random/unrelated against you, because it might seem like you did it just to add more to your resume.
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    Admitees have outstanding attributes. Volunteer hours are like being on the "honor roll"
  • glassesarechicglassesarechic Registered User Posts: 5,487 Senior Member
    But volunteering sure beats not volunteering

Eh. I would say, "Doing something sure beats doing nothing!"

Volunteering is only one way to spend your time, and it's hardly unique among applicants to top schools. Besides which, if you're measuring the level of your involvement in service by hours, I have a hard time believing you're particularly committed. Plenty of kids are required to get that many hours or more by their school or by the IB Diploma program, and it's not too terribly difficult to amass from a few scattered activities. What could be a boost is if you've spent considerable time working at one non-profit or fundraising for one cause, in which case you could measure your involvement by funds raised or with a letter of recommendation from an overseer or someone who has personally benefitted from your aid.
    If you only did a little volunteering, and it isn't particularly interesting, is it worth putting on your application? I read that admissions might interpret activities that seem random/unrelated against you, because it might seem like you did it just to add more to your resume.

That's a personal choice. In my case, volunteering isn't particularly important to me. I got the hours required by my school (150+freshman/sophomore year requirements which I've forgotten) and moved on. I've participated in Relay for Life every year, but I don't have an organizing role, and, frankly, I go to spend a night running around with my friends. So I'm just not mentioning them on my app--I have much more developed interests to spend my precious Common App space on.
This discussion has been closed.