right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

IMPORTANT NEWS: CC Forums are now in read-only mode as the team is working on the transition to a new look with enhanced features. We anticipate full service on the site to return on Nov. 24. Read more about this here!

Word limits on writing supplement

txhandantxhandan 274 replies19 threads Junior Member
edited January 2014 in Bryn Mawr College
Does anyone know the word limits on the writing supplement? I tried to call the admission office and it is closed until 01/02/2014.

The first one: "Please attach an essay of no more than one page", does it mean to be size 12 font Times-Roman, double spaced one page?

What is the word limit on the second essay: Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below?
edited January 2014
5 replies
Post edited by txhandan on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Word limits on writing supplement

• clckwrkorangeclckwrkorange 6 replies2 threads New Member
    Hi txhandan,
    Yes, the first writing supplement must be in 12 point font, Times New Roman, however I did not double space when I applied, because they want it not more than a page, and it would be inconvenient for them to have to de-double space it to know how long it really is. Mine was actually a line over the page limit, and they are very flexible about that. As for the second essay, I got back into my account and see no word limit. There is a 650 word max I believe, but when they say "brief" I assume they mean no more than 500 words, and mine was around 250. Same format for the first supplement, too. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • txhandantxhandan 274 replies19 threads Junior Member
    clckwrkorange, did you submit your app on paper? On Common App, there is a 75-word limit on the 2nd essay. It won't allow more than 75 words.
    · Reply · Share
  • bmcdreambmcdream 9 replies4 threads New Member
    The Why Bryn Mawr essay has no word limit but you must fit it into 1 page. I read one accepted essay with nearly 800 words and another with only 250. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • tomatosproutstomatosprouts 39 replies6 threads Junior Member
    The Common App tells me that there's a 75-word limit for the 2nd essay as well, and won't let me submit my app until I reduce it! Any suggestions? I'm assuming this is a glitch--am I right?
    · Reply · Share
  • txhandantxhandan 274 replies19 threads Junior Member
    tomatosprouts, it is not a glitch, it is a requirement which I verified with the school.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity