right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

Pennlive: Students suing Bucknell University must be identified, judge rules

kikkydeekikkydee 414 replies22 threads Member
edited June 23 in Bucknell University
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/07/students_suing_bucknell_must_b.html#incart_river_default

"The six, identified only by their initials, last year sued the school and 15 individuals over what they allege was an illegal search on Feb. 16, 2012, of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity house and a residence hall."

"Suspected LSD tablets, marijuana, synthetic marijuana, 5.5-inch hunting knife, slingshot, pellet gun designed to look like an automatic pistol, 11-inch bong, 16-inch bong, nine pipes, digital scale, seven grinders and a lock-picking set were confiscated, according to the university.

Students found to have violated university policy were subjected to school discipline and no one was referred to police for prosecution, Bucknell points out."
edited June 23
5 replies
Post edited by CCAdmin_Vic on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Pennlive: Students suing Bucknell University must be identified, judge rules

• kikkydeekikkydee 414 replies22 threads Member
    Well, this is interesting.

So the university just subjected the students to "school discipline" and no one was referred to the police. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. I am a parent. I would be pretty darn grateful for the school took action to deal with a problem situation. If it was my kid I would be meeting with the university to thank them for choosing not to call the police. It is doubtful these kids have the money for attorneys. Their parents must be paying for this.

AND, the students want to preserve their identities while they sue their own school for stopping them from committing illegal acts on the school's own property? From what I have read in this article I whole heartedly agree with this judge.

And just to be clear, I believe any school can have a small problem with a group of kids and drug use. I am not posting this article to bash Bucknell. It is an awesome school.
    · Reply · Share
  • morrismmmorrismm 3390 replies182 threads Senior Member
    Wow. I agree with you kinky. Their parents should be grateful to the school. It is scary to think what these privileged students will be like when they are working adults?
    · Reply · Share
  • Haha133Haha133 1 replies0 threads New Member
    The students referenced in this article were subject to an illegal search by state resources, including police and state drug dogs, without cause and without warrant. They are being represented by a civil rights attorney who approached them and is covering his own costs. The students involved in the suit were not charged with any misconduct by the university and are suing out of a patriotic duty to uphold the us constitution's explicit protections designed to counter this sweeping search and seizure.
    These students are not necessarily privileged or affluent or "frat boys", however that is meant to be construed. After one student was found to be selling marijuana over 200 students returned from class to find that their rooms had been searched by state troopers with the contents of their rooms dumped and examined across the floor. Bucknell is attempting to intimidate these students in an effort to avoid a lawsuit because they know they are in the wrong.
    · Reply · Share
    Nobody is suggesting that these students are not allowed to challenge that this was an illegal search. That is for a court to decide. But if you are going to accuse someone or, as in this case, an institution, the judge ruled that you must be identified and not just be named by initials.

If, as you state Haha, they are "suing out of a patriotic duty to uphold the us ( sic) constitution," why would they not want to be identified?

Apparently, as was stated in the article, no one was referred to police for prosecution,

So this is my take on this situation. The University found a reason to suspect some illegal behavior. The did a search and indeed did find illegal substances. But no student was referred to police for prosecution. Yet students and parents are still angry about the search and are suing the school. But they do not want to be identified.

Really? This comes across as how much money can I get from the school to keep quiet and not have my kid's name out there as .......you fill in the blank.

(Suggestions..."a felon, a drug dealer, an addict, an occasional user)
    · Reply · Share
    Oh and by the way, my kids are not angels or the perfect CC children. I am very sensitive to these issues.

My D3 had a Bucknell situation that cost us thousands of dollars for her not actually doing anything illegal. It is a too long story. It has to do with drinking, but not illegally.

She was also awarded the outstanding senior award in her major, graduated Magna cum laude and was nominated for Phi Beta Kappa. Her incident probably kept her out of PBK.

So I have some gripes with Bucknell. I, and my father, are also graduates.

But I do not get why the parents in the above story are suing.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity