right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

class of 2014 (i feel old!) questions thread...

ericatbucknellericatbucknell 744 replies14 threads Member
edited July 1 in Bucknell University
i am a fan of consolidated questions threads since my experience has shown that many prospective students have pretty similar questions about bucknell. given the depressing title of what has morphed into the current questions thread, i figured id start a new one.

now that i am now old--and not at bucknell--i no longer have all the answers. hopefully the current students (and parents!) on this board will help answer questions as they arise.

some of the older versions for those interested:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/bucknell-university/486400-new-ask-recent-graduate-your-bucknell-questions-thread.html
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/bucknell-university/318545-recent-grad-back-take-more-questions.html
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/bucknell-university/172014-current-student-taking-questions.html
edited July 1
16 replies
Post edited by CCAdmin_Vic on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: class of 2014 (i feel old!) questions thread...

• ilmorilmor 142 replies22 threads Junior Member
    I remember I posted in one of your threads back in the day. I'm going to be a senior next year...holy crap.
    · Reply · Share
  • sharkeysharkey 33 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Bucknell vs. University of Richmound for business accounting
    · Reply · Share
  • ericatbucknellericatbucknell 744 replies14 threads Member
    Bucknell vs. University of Richmound for business accounting

as you may know, bucknell has a well respected accounting program with good placement history. of the 30 accounting graduates from my original class (2007) on which there is data, 27 are currently employed at one of the 'big four' accounting firms. one is in law school. and the other two are at morgan stanley and blackrock.

mean reported starting salary for the class of 2008 accounting majors was over $54,000, with 34 of the 45 responding graduates (not in graduate school) employed at 'big four' firms shorty after graduation. only two graduates did not respond, so the data is fairly complete. and the 11 employed elsewhere include people pursuing a professional golf and military careers, as well as someone teaching in spain and another who landed a job in investment banking.

my understanding is that richmonds business programs are also strong. unfortunately, there does not appear to be public data available for placement/salary comparisons.

---

with that in mind, id likely base much of my decision on other factors. though the schools certainly have a large overlap in terms of student body and culture, richmond is decidedly the more 'southern' and conservative of the two. the schools respective housing policies are strong evidence of this difference (richmond preferring single-sex dormitories and bucknell preferring single-sex rooms on mixed-gender floors). the rural location of bucknell relative to the more (sub-) urban richmond is another key difference. bucknells stronger focus on science and engineering, and the slightly different type of students those programs typically attract, is a third.

if you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask. either way, good luck with your decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • psoleilpsoleil 35 replies4 threads Junior Member
    my son is comtemplating bucknell vs. UNC - Chapel Hill. He is heavy into math, but totally undecided about major, career, etc. My impression is that he may have more help finding his way at Bucknell. What do you think?
    · Reply · Share
  • duckduckgooseduckduckgoose 18 replies0 threads New Member
    I've read through all of your past "ask a student" threads and your answers have been very helpful and I really appreciate you helping everyone through the decision process!
    I have a couple questions of my own...
    1. How easy is it to get into the classes you want? I understand freshmen get last pick, but if you really want in a class, how easy is it to talk to the professor (even if you haven't had them before) and ask to be put in the class?
    2. I like the idea of a residential college; I like the idea of the community and it sounds like a decent balance between CHOICE and regular dorm life. But none of the offered foundation seminars for the res colleges really pop out to me and I've read on ratemyprof about the profs and was a little disappointed. Do you think its worth it to be in a res college even if I'm not head over heels about the seminar?
    3. Are all dorms coed?
    4. Do freshmen and upperclassmen interact? It seems like upperclassmen eat in a different place and are more involved in Greek life than freshmen, so does that create a divide? Do people look down on freshmen?
    5. How easy is it to double major/minor
    6. The point system seems pretty reasonable and it sounds like Public Safety cares more about helping than punishing. Would you agree?
    7. I know strong majors include Engineering, Biology, Business, Management, etc. I'm interested in Social Sciences, though, but not entirely sure what specific major I want. Are there any majors to really avoid or "weak" majors or majors where you say what your major is and people scoff at it?

Sorry that there are so many questions!!
    · Reply · Share
  • purplegirlpurplegirl 167 replies36 threads Junior Member
    I have a soph at Bucknell. She has had no problem with registration for classes. There is so much flexibility in electives. Her classes for her major/minor are a given. Her friend didn't get a class she wanted and the registrar office helped her and in the end she got in. For res. college it has been a great opportunity for bonding with kids with similar interest. They are housed together and she opted to stay with many of the same kids for soph year too. She has made many strong friendships thru the res. college and now in joining a sorority is friends with many upper classman. For someone not that outgoing, quiet, not a partier, she has made a nice network of friends and I feel that the way Bucknell does things helped her alot to accomplish so much in a short time there. As far as dorms, the only all female dorm is the sorority dorm but 2 of her friends live on an all female floor in ?Veder I think this year. My D is on a coed floor. She is a math minor and feels math is very strong there and likes the profs alot. She also loves her bio classes too (biochem/cell bio major)
    · Reply · Share
  • BucknellBubblyBucknellBubbly 44 replies0 threads Junior Member
    1. You may have to wait a year or two to get into a really popular class, but if you need the class for your major you can often talk to the professor, and there are always plenty of interesting classes if you don't get your first pick. (Sadly, since we keep class sizes so small, not everyone can take all of their first choices that semester. It's a trade-off, but there's always the wait list and you will just about always be able to take that class at some point during your time here.)

2. DO IT!! Residential colleges are the best, and you're looking at making friends for all of college as well as getting guaranteed good housing, a professor that some other students may or may not have enjoyed is totally worth it.

3. All dorm buildings are coed (except for the sorority building and the fraternity houses, of course), and most halls are coed as well (with single-gender bathrooms), but you can request an all-girl or all-boy hall.

4. You will interact with a lot of freshmen your first year, but not just your first-year peers. Between your RA and his/her friends, your JF/SPA if you're in a residential community, and just people you meet in classes or in clubs, you will get to know plenty of upperclass students. The divide I'd say is really more of "Oh, that kid just did something so stupid, he must be a freshman"--if you don't act ridiculous and "freshmanlike" (the stereotype is sad but true), people aren't going to look down on you.

5. It is really easy to double major/minor in the College of Arts and Sciences, especially if you come in knowing what you want to do or at least get your College Core Curriculum requirements out of the way first. I currently have two majors and I'm picking up either one or two minors next year.

6. The points system is basically this: "We know you're smart kids, so don't be stupid and you won't get in trouble." I think it works pretty well.

7. There will be engineers that will scoff at you no matter what your major is. I usually just tell them how much I have to read for my history or political science seminars and they shut up pretty fast. Really, though, the social sciences here are all pretty strong and Bucknell as a whole has a great reputation for an all-inclusive learning environment.
    · Reply · Share
  • ericatbucknellericatbucknell 744 replies14 threads Member
    my son is comtemplating bucknell vs. UNC - Chapel Hill. He is heavy into math, but totally undecided about major, career, etc. My impression is that he may have more help finding his way at Bucknell. What do you think?

i have no doubt it will have more help 'finding his way,' as you put it.

first, as the owner of a mathematics degree i can say that the mathematics department is not only strong but possesses a faculty is committed to undergraduate education, both inside and outside the classroom. simply, bucknell is a great place for a mathematics student.

additionally, the university-wide emphasis on faculty serving as ACTIVE advisers from day one goes a long way in helping students find a sense of direction. i can only compare my experiences with anecdotes from my 'big state u' friends, but the differences seem to be night and day. my adviser helped me think about what was important in my undergraduate career and forced me to think outside the box now and then. again, anecdotally, my friends generic advisers seemed concerned with little more than making sure my friends were on track to meet their graduation requirements.

if you have some more specific questions (so i can provide a better-directed response), feel free to ask away.
    · Reply · Share
    thanks. that was very helpful
    · Reply · Share
  • AKANISHIAKANISHI 8 replies7 threads New Member
    BUCKNELL VS NYU,I want to study market or enginnering .i really don't know which one i should choose……
    · Reply · Share
  • morrismmmorrismm 3390 replies182 threads Senior Member
    Wow AKANISHI--you are talking about very different schools. NYU in the middle of Manhattan with no real discernible campus vs. Bucknell in the middle of rural America with a beautiful college campus.

You can get a great education at either school, although I'd go w/ Bucknell for engineering. But the atmosphere is vastly different. Which would you prefer?
    · Reply · Share
  • AKANISHIAKANISHI 8 replies7 threads New Member
    Thank u for your suggestion,morrismm^^
    I love college and I know Bucknell's campus is perfect,but the only problem i concerned was that NYU may provide me more chances when finding a job after graduation.I really like Bucknell and I guess the "super big university" is not suitable for me.but NYU seems to be more competitive if I study marketing……

I'm really distressed now……
    · Reply · Share
  • aberdeenaberdeen 105 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Sorry, but I think you are underestimating the number of Bucknell grads who hold positions in some of the finer marketing firms in New York. While the obvious is that any university located in NYC has the advantage when it comes to a job search-if you only knew how great Bucknell's CDC (Career Development Center) was at placing students into jobs after graduation--I think you would be amazed. Sorry if I am prejudicial-as I have many friends who are studying Marketing at Bucknell-but I just believe the education all of us are getting here is super! I admit that my Biology major work is extremely challenging and time consuming as a Pre Med--but like the Engineering, Business, Management, Behavior & Environmental Science, and Math majors I know and live with--I think we're happy here with what we're studying--and how we're being prepared for life after Bucknell.
    · Reply · Share
    i have a question about fraternities - i'm sure this is sensitive but i would appreciate an honest answer. are the fraternities all about what religion you are? more precisely, are jewish boys only in "jewish" fraternities?
    · Reply · Share
  • BucknellBubblyBucknellBubbly 44 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Not at all. Bucknell did have a jewish fraternity back in the day, but that chapter is now defunct and there are jewish men and women in every greek organization now.
    · Reply · Share
    thanks. great to hear.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity