Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Are these classes useful?

Ari7Ari7 Registered User Posts: 489 Member
edited September 2011 in Business Major
I'm a second year computer science hoping to get a minor or major in finance.
Both are doable (I need 4 more classes for a minor, 9 for a major), but the extra classes for the major would make my schedule a little less flexible on top of my compsci requirements (esp. if I want to study abroad next year...), and, although I don't have any specific career goals, I'm not sure the extra classes look all that useful?

The classes I need for the minor are: Principles of Financial Accounting, Capital Markets & Financial Management, Advanced Financial Management, Investments, and an elective.

For the major, I need: Individual in a Managerial Environment, Macroeconomics, Principles of Managerial Accounting, Principles of Financial Accounting, Capital Markets & Financial Management, Advanced Financial Management, Investments, two electives.

The extra classes for the major are bolded...so there really aren't that many extra requirements (it almost seems silly to not just get the major). And I would probably take the extra elective anyway. But the "managerial environment" class seems a little useless (I would rather just take more finance electives), and I'm not looking forward to macro...since I wont be starting these classes until my 4th semester and I want to study abroad for a semesternext year...

Anyways, any opinions on which course of study to take? Is a major that much more worthwhile than a minor? Are these extra classes important to take? Thanks!
Post edited by Ari7 on

Replies to: Are these classes useful?

This discussion has been closed.