Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

If you don't go to a top school...

highflyinhighflyin Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
edited January 2012 in Business Major
I've been told that unless you go to a top school/target, getting a degree in finance isn't anything special. I don't necessarily want to go into IB, I just want a job that would allow me to work up to a six figure income within a few years. Right now I attend a fairly reputable state school, if a finance degree isn't worth much then what degree would serve my goals better?
Post edited by highflyin on

Replies to: If you don't go to a top school...

• MalikwalMalikwal Registered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
    This is exactly what I was looking for

Sent from my DROIDX using CC App
  • WhatdidyouWhatdidyou Registered User Posts: 539 Member
    "I JUST want a job that would allow me to work up to a six figure income within a few years."

hehe, you just want a six figure income four years out of college. What an underacheiver. lol.

Kidding aside, a business major will, generally, NOT get you a six figure income after four years. Although, i suppose it depends on the school and location you get a job in.

In my area, I'd imagine (this is speculative) that 60K would be a more realistic salary after a few years. That is if you manage to get a finance job.
  • rcs1113rcs1113 Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    OP: I'm not directly answering your question about getting a job but addressing the money issue...

My sister's friend just graduated last year in finance, business, economics some kind of business degree. He got a job making 70k a year plus benefits.

Now much like you at first I thought "now that's good and everything but it's not six figures."

Think on the larger scale: This kid is 22-23 years old and making 70k a year. Considering he doesn't have a family to support, major bills to pay, no debt, he is making it.

So I think that getting 60k+ straight out of college is spectacular, especially given our economic situation.

Just some food for thought
  • WhatdidyouWhatdidyou Registered User Posts: 539 Member
    I agree, I feel like 60 K is alot for an entry level role. For my region/major, 50 K is around the salary for the most competitive jobs. The way I see it, you havent had any experience or on-the-job training, the company spends alot of capital training you, investing, and supervising you. You're probably overpaid...I guess maybe if I came from a very wealthy background I would feel like I earned/needed a 150 K job four years after graduating.
  • AsTranAsTran Registered User Posts: 372 Member
    Funny how people expect to make six figures so easily right out of college. You will be lucky to get paid 50-60k a year at an entry level position.
  • Arxos51Arxos51 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    It's definitely possible. Back after my dad finished his bachelors, he went to work in the oil industry in Indonesia and started off making ~150k.
  • commentcommentcommentcomment Registered User Posts: 733 Member
    Past does not equal present. you need to look at current market demands and market rate. 60-70k is more realistic at a great job. 70-85k if you get a top tier job before bonus.

If you aren't at a top tier school, the chances of you getting a great job will decrease but you can still work at a bank on the operation side and make 55-60k.
  • DueceyDuecey Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    In this economy, the only fields that will give you a reliable shot at a six-figure salary out of a state school will be software or petroleum engineering. You will need a good GPA and internship experience.
  • isaiahstockisaiahstock Registered User Posts: 383 Member
    Would about the top 20 on business Week's undergrad rankings be a considered "top schools"? If not, what would?
This discussion has been closed.