Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Please help me! What all should I know when I finish an accounting degree?

countess2012countess2012 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited December 2011 in Business Major
I am so lost. Let me start by saying I have a lot on my mind and thank you if you read my entire post! I am a very anxious person so I worry a ton- but I do feel a lot of my concerns are legit. I am 27 years old and I am married with 2 young children. I will graduate in May 2012 with my BS in Business/Accounting. I started community college right out of high school. We moved, and I have been taking online classes every since. Not the smartest choice, but it is what it is. If I could go back and change it, I sure would try. I have 1 semester left, and I have a very poor GPA- it will end up between a 2.2 and a 2.4. I have found the online format extremely challenging- barely passing my major classes with mostly C’s.

So my first real concern is wondering what all I should know about accounting procedures and formulas and what all when I graduate. That is- what will employers expect me to know how to do? I don’t need you to tell me how to do these things- just what the main things are that I should know. Everyone tells me that most of what I will need to do will be learned at the specific company- but I still feel like I will have to look at my books and notes to be able to complete things. So first question is what are the main things I SHOULD KNOW how to do when I complete my degree?

My second real concern is who will hire me- anyone worth this degree I have been working so hard to get? I have spent close to 10 years to complete an accounting degree. I will end up with an online degree and a very low GPA. I live in a small town with the closest big city over an hour away. I will have around $60,000 in student loan debt. My only have-way related work experience right now is working at a small town gift shop 2 days a week. It is run inside a pharmacy, but as 2 separate businesses. I make $10 an hour. I keep the books for the gift shop. This is extremely easy though- since it is such a small place- and I wonder if this even counts as experience. There is a local Jackson Hewitt office inside our Wal-Mart that is hiring for the tax season. I have considered applying here for an extra job- but again I wonder if that would help my resume at all?

I have always planned on getting my master’s degree a couple years after completing my bachelor’s, so that I would have the option to sit for the CPA exam one day. But I doubt any school will take my low GPA…which brings me to thinking I can just take those extra 30 credits over the next couple years to satisfy the 150 hour requirement.

I have a ton of anxiety and I am on meds for this- but I still get extremely nervous in interviews. I am an introvert and am most comfortable 1 on 1 or with a small group of people that I know. I have all of this working against me. My husband is very supportive, as well as my academic counselor, but no other family thinks my degree is worth anything and think I am just an idiot for wasting my time and money on this online degree. Almost everyone thinks I am just set up for failure, so it makes me feel even more like I have wasted 10 years, $60,000, and all for what?? Will anyone hire me? I don’t expect a large firm to want me to work, but will I be able to land an actual career? Making around $30,000-$40,000 to start is all I would want! I live in OK so that might sound low in other areas of the country. I am just starting to wonder if I should quit my last semester and not graduate- and just try to work like I have been- never really accomplishing any dreams I have always had….UGH I am so lost!! I don’t know what to do!

Replies to: Please help me! What all should I know when I finish an accounting degree?

• WhatdidyouWhatdidyou Registered User Posts: 539 Member
    well, no doubt you're in a bad place.

the good thing is that you will have an accounting degree (this is a good thing) and if you decide to do 30 credits later down the road, I recommend you do it at a brick and motor school in your area, not online.

Additionally, i'd also recommend you network and look for jobs outside of your small area.

Interview skills can be developed. Work with friends/family to practice your interview skills. I used to be terrible, but practice really does make perfect.

School can be stressful, job hunting is stressful...just try not to worry too much, thatll do more harm than good. Try to be happy for your children. What happens will happen.
This discussion has been closed.