Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

My high school focus is different from what I want to do?

alexaa525alexaa525 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
edited May 2012 in Business Major
I am currently a sophomore in high school. I do everything centered around biology, as my parents highly expect me to be a doctor. I have gone along with it for a while but...I am very interested in majoring in either econ or business administration, and then going to business school.

My question: if on my college apps I put economics as my preferred major, will having my high school focus as biology/ premed look strange? Would this be a negative? I will have over 300 volunteer hours at a hospital by then and I have participated in numerous biology programs, some quite competitive.
Post edited by alexaa525 on

Replies to: My high school focus is different from what I want to do?

• terencterenc Registered User Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    So let's get this straight. You are not interested in medicine? You're not interested in bio at all?
    Keep in mind that it is possible to be interested in bio but not interested in being a doctor, and that it is possible to do business in medical fields (i.e. running hospitals, for one, or doing biotech).

You can always say bio is your preferred major, and then do econ... No one will hold you to it.
  • alexaa525alexaa525 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    I am really not interested in medicine of any sort. I am just worried that if I put biology as my preferred major, I could get stuck with it for a while if econ fills up
  • SeattleBulldogSeattleBulldog Registered User Posts: 1,152 Senior Member
    This definitley isnt a negative. This shows you have a variety of interests. Colleges won't expect you to be a bioloyg/premed major. Do whatever you want!
    Um. There's no such thing as "econ filling up." You are admitted to the school, and you pick any major. Typically only engineering and undergrad business are in separate schools (divisions) within the same university. And typically bio and econ are in the same school of any given university.
  • hope4uschope4usc Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    You are fine! Most business majors have nothing to show in their highschool transcript and resume that helps them be admitted for business. in fact, every single college your I attended (I'll be a business major at USC) highly emphasize to throw out any highschool business classes because the college will be teaching that subject matter differently. In fact, my resume gears me towards being a doctor and both my parents were. I was accepted into one of the top colleges for medicine in the nation (washington U in st Louis) but I was accepted as a business major. If anything I believe that resume will help you into top schools for business, especially Econ since Econ requires quite some intelligence and hard work.
  • alexaa525alexaa525 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    Thank you everyone its very reassuring!
    What concerns me is that you aren't interested in medicine yet all your ECs have to do with medicine.
    While this has no bearing on college admissions, the problem is that it is impossible to do well in ECs if you don't enjoy them, and that DOES affect admissions.
  • waitingforivywaitingforivy Registered User Posts: 878 Member
    In high school, my major EC was medical science research. Other important ECs were leadership roles in the school newspaper and literary magazine. When I applied to college, I sometimes applied as a bio major, when I thought it would help. Otherwise, I applied as an Econ major, or a combination of the two. To complicate matters, I was also thougt I wasinterested in engineering
  • waitingforivywaitingforivy Registered User Posts: 878 Member
    When I applied to business schools, I emphasized my leadership in school and the independence/quantitative skills I learned through research. I'm going to NYU Stern for undergrad next year.

It's better to have more business-oriented ECs, but interests change, and you can't always explore your interests in high school.

The other thing is, I'd you do go to a business school, be prepared for people to be confused
This discussion has been closed.