Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Career paths with an Economics degree?

Moose3579Moose3579 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
edited May 2012 in Business Major
Do most Econ majors have jobs that involve studying trends and numbers all day, every day? Or can this degree lead to careers in management, consulting, etc.?

I love managing teams of people, improving processes and making operations more efficient. Is an Economics degree right for me? Also, I am very good at math.
Post edited by Moose3579 on

Replies to: Career paths with an Economics degree?

• MattC44MattC44 Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    From what I've heard and read, you can do almost anything with an Economics degree. The way I look at it, why wouldn't an employer want someone who understands the economy enough to have gotten a degree in it with good grades? In order to do or work in business, it helps to understand the economy. An economics degree doesn't usually focus on the economy itself, that's macroeconomics. There is a lot of Microeconomic theory that you learn in your Econ classes for your degree as well at most schools. Microeconomics focus more on the business side of the economy than the policy side of the economy. Every Business major has to take Macro and Micro but Econ majors dig much deeper into both.
    I don't know if you know this, but the top schools in the US to get your MBA don't have undergrad business programs; most people who know they want to go into business from those schools study Economics since it's kind of related to business even though it's not exactly it's twin. I read that undergrads from the Wharton school of business are awarded a B.S. in Economics, not a BBA or a B.S. in Business Administration with a concentration in something business related. I'm not saying all schools match the University of Pennsylvania but Econ. usually is a course of study for people going into business. A lot of CEOs did Econ in undergrad.
This discussion has been closed.