right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Upcoming changes to the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Which Finance major?

OSUFisherOSUFisher 20 replies8 threads New Member
edited June 2012 in Business Major
Would majoring in something like Finance with a concentration in Corporate Finance or Finance with a concentration in Risk Management Insurance be more beneficial? I like the idea of working in the Risk Management field, but I also like the business aspect of being able to travel and meeting new people. Which field would lead to more opportunities to move up? (i.e.; VP, CEO) Also, what certifications are needed to help my job opportunities. I only know of FRM and PRM for Risk Management, and CFA for finance.
edited June 2012
6 replies
Post edited by OSUFisher on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Which Finance major?

• terencterenc 1096 replies32 threads Senior Member
    Fastest way to move up is through investment banking or consulting.

I can't really comment on the concentrations. You should do some internships that will help you decide.
    · Reply · Share
  • OSUFisherOSUFisher 20 replies8 threads New Member
    Thanks for your input. However I am not interested in investment banking. Any other input?
    · Reply · Share
    Bump10 char
    · Reply · Share
    Bump. I'm leaning more towards finance with a concentration in risk management. Can anyone with experience in corporate finance give me some input on the actual field itself?
    · Reply · Share
  • angryelfangryelf 499 replies7 threads- Member
    I don't work in corporate finance, but you're truly over-thinking this. Your concentration just doesn't matter. So long as you've taken the relevant coursework, no one will even care what your concentration is.
    · Reply · Share
  • discoinfernodiscoinferno 279 replies1 threads Junior Member
    It depends. If you're at a school that offers a generic "Business Administration" major and have to choose a specific concentration, then it's night and day.

However, if you're actually majoring in finance then yeah, it doesn't matter. A sub-concentration in risk management is what, 2-3 classes? Maybe I'm wrong.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity