Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which Finance major?

OSUFisherOSUFisher Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
edited June 2012 in Business Major
Would majoring in something like Finance with a concentration in Corporate Finance or Finance with a concentration in Risk Management Insurance be more beneficial? I like the idea of working in the Risk Management field, but I also like the business aspect of being able to travel and meeting new people. Which field would lead to more opportunities to move up? (i.e.; VP, CEO) Also, what certifications are needed to help my job opportunities. I only know of FRM and PRM for Risk Management, and CFA for finance.
Post edited by OSUFisher on

Replies to: Which Finance major?

• terencterenc Registered User Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    Fastest way to move up is through investment banking or consulting.

I can't really comment on the concentrations. You should do some internships that will help you decide.
  • OSUFisherOSUFisher Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    Thanks for your input. However I am not interested in investment banking. Any other input?
    Bump10 char
    Bump. I'm leaning more towards finance with a concentration in risk management. Can anyone with experience in corporate finance give me some input on the actual field itself?
  • angryelfangryelf - Posts: 506 Member
    I don't work in corporate finance, but you're truly over-thinking this. Your concentration just doesn't matter. So long as you've taken the relevant coursework, no one will even care what your concentration is.
  • discoinfernodiscoinferno Registered User Posts: 280 Junior Member
    It depends. If you're at a school that offers a generic "Business Administration" major and have to choose a specific concentration, then it's night and day.

However, if you're actually majoring in finance then yeah, it doesn't matter. A sub-concentration in risk management is what, 2-3 classes? Maybe I'm wrong.
This discussion has been closed.