Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Broker Internship worth it?

baktabiznisbaktabiznis Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited June 2012 in Business Major
I was offered a internship from a local stock broker. He said I would be making cold calls and filling paper work. I'm a finance major and planned on taking a full load this summer, plans changed and now I'm off the entire summer without a internship. If I'm looking to get a position next May after graduation doing something in the finance field that a salaried position, is this internship worth them time. I currently attend a SUNY State school? The broker said I could work anyways I wanted mon-fri just come in?
Post edited by baktabiznis on

Replies to: Broker Internship worth it?

• terencterenc Registered User Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    It's better than nothing, but an ideal internship would be at a financial services company (i.e. investment banking, financial advisory, mutual funds, etc...)

It also depends on what kind of job you want after college.
  • geo1113geo1113 Registered User Posts: 1,427 Senior Member
    Yes, it is worth it. Any experience is better than none. A job at McDonald's is better than no work at all. Besides you might find that you like it and have an aptitude for it.
  • ldavisldavis Registered User Posts: 672 Member
    Cold calling is... awful. Know that upfront. Filing is boring. Are you getting paid?
    Is this someone who will give you a good reference? The mkt. is horrible right now so
    cold calling - painful. Maybe you can ask if you can spend some time reviewing portfolios or something more interesting? Will you have access to Firm Research , wholesaler meetings ( can learn alot), etc
This discussion has been closed.