Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What exactly can you do with a MIS (Management Information Systems) degree?

CompscitechguyCompscitechguy Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
edited August 2014 in Business Major
Is it similar to CIS? Looking at the curriculum, I've noticed that in the first year you have a total of two CS classes, and you have a business class. Then during the second year, there are a two accounting courses and a few more business courses. Finally, your last two years, you get a string of MIS/IS/Programming, database management, e-commerce classes. This seems eerily similar to a CIS curriculum without the official title. I thought about minoring in Computer Science to build an even stronger foundation in programming. Do you think this is a great idea? Will IT employers look down on this? I'm just not sure about computer science anymore, and I also wouldn't want to be a software developer when I finish. I want something along the lines of IT consultant and Systems Administrator/Analyst. Would MIS work for the career paths I want to pursue. What's the salary like? IS a MIS degree marketable these days as it once was? I noticed on my school website, it said that many graduates were being hired into computer firms around the area. How much debt is it worth getting into for this major?
This discussion has been closed.