Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Business Administration and Accounting double major

2»

Replies to: Business Administration and Accounting double major

• thedeester2395thedeester2395 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    I guess it could be. The accounting advisor at my school told me that I should major in Accounting and then minor in economics. I think I might do that but add Political Science as another minor. So I'd have a major and two minors.
  • NYCguy2020NYCguy2020 Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    Economics and/or finance are both good choice for a minor.
    Is an accounting minor and business administration major bad? That's what my friend is doing.
  • arc918arc918 Registered User Posts: 722 Member
    If you want to become a CPA, then major in accounting for sure.
    Oh ok. My friend wasn't really sure if she wanted an mba degree or a cpa one. Business Admin with an accounting minor isn't bad, right?
  • arc918arc918 Registered User Posts: 722 Member
    Sounds like a reasonable approach. Once you start taking your core business classes, you'll be in a better position to decide where to focus. Good luck!
  • DmitriRDmitriR Registered User Posts: 838 Member
    edited October 2014
    I agree, there's nothing wrong with that.

The only concern that I might have is that many states have specific course requirements to be eligible to sit for your CPA (ie a certain number of hours of business law, a certain number of hours of tax, etc.) If she thinks that she might want a CPA later on, I would just recommend reviewing the accounting minor curriculum to make sure it covers at least some of those requirements if they exist. If they don't, she may end up considering an MS, MA, or M.Acc program to fill up those requirements.

None of that would be bad or unusual though, so I wouldn't really worry about it too much either way especially since she hasn't made her decision yet. It sounds like she is in a great place with her decision, as are you.
2»
This discussion has been closed.