Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Some opinions in electives?

rokivalerokivale Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
Hello, its my first post in this forum!

I would like to read some opinions on my situation.
I live and study in europe, though i dont know if the forum is only for american users or not. Anyway,

My question is simple. I study accounting and finance (one degree) in best program of country. My goals are to get in a consulting firm (propably big4 audit) or a financial firm, for 4-5 years, to see how it goes, and then propably get in a financial control position to climb to CFO or general management.In short my long term goal in 10-20 years from now is to be a (general ) business executive with finance/accounting background.
In the near future, i intend to take a master in financial economics and a designation like acca/cfa.

Now the real question.
I am checking electives on my final year, and i want a second opinion or two

First 2 years where common for accounting and finance. in 3rd and 4th i picked accounting, while i try getting one or two finance classes per semester.I am familiar with portfolio theory, capital markets theory and i have a good understanding of how markets fundamentaly work. Also i have taken 2-3 classes in corporate finance. Right now i plan to take some application classes (computation finance and numerical methods in finance)

The dilemma is, for the rest of my electives i can either pick classes like risk management, international finance or classes like business strategy, advanced managerial accounting and similar.

First group seems more theoretical so i can understand better the economy. On the other hand, it will overlap with many classes i have already taken, and i am starting to think i will take a whole class for just 4-5 formulas i could teach myself anyway.

The second class seems more interesting since i dont have so many management courses, and both seem practical and not "fluff" courses. Then again, those classes will be useful only when you are in senior level, in junior/staff positions, it loses to 1st group

Opinions?

Replies to: Some opinions in electives?

• happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,193 Forum Champion
    Take whatever you are interested in. I don't think any one elective will significantly impact on your career.
  • AoDayAoDay Registered User Posts: 703 Member
    It sounds like you are focusing on a career in accounting and pursuing an education in finance. You would need a CPA/CMA to pursue a financial controller position so you should be emphasizing more on advanced accounting electives. Honestly by the time you are in a managerial position your undergraduate courses will have been far enough behind you that it won't make a difference at all.
This discussion has been closed.