Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Are these rankings too good to be true?

ryanPAryanPA Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
I think the rankings of some of the colleges I'm considering are too good to be true and want to know other opinions on this. I'm a HS senior and don't know if I should be taking the US Newsweek rankings with a grain of salt or not. I'm planning on majoring in finance and possibly accounting and here are some examples of what I'm talking about...

U of Scranton- 16th in Finance and 20th in Accounting
Marquette- 15th in Finance
Xavier- 22nd in Finance
Saint Joseph's University- 10th in Accounting

They're all decent schools but by no stretch are they Ivies. For example I don't believe that Scranton has a better finance program than Cornell. Do these rankings even somewhat reflect the program of the school?

Replies to: Are these rankings too good to be true?

• prof2dadprof2dad Registered User Posts: 694 Member
    Ranking is often done in a naive fashion. The four examples mentioned reflect that danger.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 22,656 Forum Champion
    edited October 2016
    I would not put much value on these or any ratings. And I certainly agree that Cornell should be ahead of UScranton in any ranking (and I did visit and like UScranton)
This discussion has been closed.