Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

Associates degree in Business Management or Business Administration?

MelodyxMelodyx Registered User Posts: 18 New Member

I've been working for a property management company as an administrative assistant for 10+years. Not sure if that's something that will give me a little boost on my resume (?) but I can include that I gained skills working with Quickbooks, Excel etc.

My passion is anything creative, but rather than going to school for something art related I decided to just do arts as a hobby on the side.. and I have hopes of one day opening my own business but that's not solely why I want a business degree, I would like it as a broad opportunity to open up doors for me in the future and gain the skills and knowledge I lack. I've seen a lot of careers stating "education preference: ba in business preferred" I know it would be better to do a dual with business or something more specific, but that's where I am at now.

I decided to go back to school and finish my undergrad degree, currently working towards my concentration courses in AA. I decided to major in Business. My college offers the following: Business Management, Business Administration, Accounting, CIS and Business Studies. (All these majors have similar required courses) I don't want to do accounting or anything math heavy, because I still need to brush up on my math skills.

I am currently taking 101 Business.. which is a good general course that will apply to all. Now, based on what I mentioned above, do you think I should lean more towards Business Management or Administration?

Replies to: Associates degree in Business Management or Business Administration?

• arc918arc918 Registered User Posts: 678 Member
    As an employer, I would assume business admin & business management are pretty much the same thing.

I'd honestly try accounting, it's not easy, but it's not math heavy. I'd assume you'll have to take accounting 101 & 102 (intro financial & intro to managerial/cost) regardless of your major.
  • TQfromtheUTQfromtheU Registered User Posts: 1,184 Senior Member
    I agree with @arc918 - accounting. If you are using QuickBooks and have a good foundation to understand how to read reports received from that system, that would be a future help to you. With accounting, the math is not complicated and you are able to use a calculator.
  • arc918arc918 Registered User Posts: 678 Member
    As a 25+ year CPA, I've never heard anyone say "I wish I knew less about accounting." Indeed a few accounting classes and QuickBooks experience would be helpful for both employment and running your own business.

Good luck!
  • MelodyxMelodyx Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    edited January 24
    @TQfromtheU @arc918 Thank you for your response, I appreciate it!

Never in a million years did I ever think to major in accounting. You have no idea how bad I am in math, or better yet said I was never taught it properly..not even in primary school. But, that's no excuse because regardless anything business-related will involve math. I will just have to practice,tutor or do whatever it takes to improve before taking those math classes. I can see why Accounting would be a better fit, 'employment wise'. I checked the courses under the Accounting major in my college and I do like how it has a nice blend of business/finance courses. I always thought accounting degree meant only math related courses and that it will only lead to accounting jobs and I honestly would prefer doing anything else other than being the one dealing with numbers in a business...so with that being said, would it still be a good choice to major in accounting but get a career that has nothing to do with accounting? Thanks again!