right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Is it common to be unemployed or underemployed after getting a bachelor degree in accounting?

2»

Replies to: Is it common to be unemployed or underemployed after getting a bachelor degree in accounting?

• bcroger2bcroger2 14 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    I have 132 hours of credits but only 18 accounting hours. I need 12 more accounting hours to be eligible for the CPA and 6 more overall hours.

I think those acct. majors were CPAs, not people with general accounting degrees.
    · Reply · Share
  • itsgettingreal17itsgettingreal17 3765 replies23 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,788 Senior Member
    @bcroger2 You are wrong. To become a CPA you need to meet the education requirements of the relevant jurisdiction, pass the CPA exam, and obtain the required experience (at least 1 year). Only after meeting these requirements does one become a CPA. Accounting firms want students who are CPA eligible - ie, who meet the education requirements so they can sit for the CPA exam and become licensed within 2 years of working at the firm. You don’t satisfy that requirement. I don’t even understand how you graduated with an accounting degree with only 18 accounting credits. I’m not familiar with any accredited accounting program that awards an accounting degree with so few credits. Therein lies your problem - your background in accounting is questionable. If you really want to be an accountant, go get a MAcc. A general business/management degree is generally pretty useless.
    · Reply · Share
  • bcroger2bcroger2 14 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    " If you really want to be an accountant"

I don't necessarily want to be an accountant, I would do any business or administrative job. Loan officer, financial analyst, credit analyst etc. are all good jobs for me. My overall GPA was a 3.3.

· Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 1682 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,696 Senior Member
    Although this will be uncomfortable for you (aversion to anything sales related), you need to network with alumni, friends of your parents, anyone you can think of that can help you land an interview with something in your lane. The good news is social media (Linkedin and other resources) has taken the sting out of networking and it has become a pretty easy and painless thing to do. Reaching out to connect, then sending a brief intro and guidance (informational interview) over a cup of coffee or on the phone is very easy today. You'd be surprised by how many people want to help. The great part is the ones that don't just don't reply. None of the cold call rejection / fear you imagine.

These conversations will also make you far more comfortable with actual interviews. They will build your confidence. Gaining acceptance into a MAcc program and networking should help a lot. If you don't want to be a CPA, plenty of opportunities in F500 firms for entry level accounting / finance folks. That's where the networking comes in.

Good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 1682 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,696 Senior Member
    Also - take some online classes this summer. Beef up your skill set in financial modeling (excel), data analytics, SQL, etc. These are great skills to have and will absolutely be part of any corporate accounting / finance role. COurses are very inexpensive and thorough. Take a look at Cousera and Udemy. S just did a modeling course for $12 (seriously, and it was really good - about 20 hours of real learning using videos, lectures, assignments - which were impressive).

Employers will also like to see that you took the initiative to self learn and update your skills. Very important.
    · Reply · Share