Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Currenty an engineering student, thinking about switching to business

AbN610AbN610 Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
edited October 2006 in Business Major
Hello everybody. I am a first year student currently enrolled in the School of Engineering at Rutgers University. I just had one question - Will I be able to switch to a business major (Finance/Economics) my second year if Engineering doesn't work out for me? Or am I confined to Engineering? My current courses are the following if it matters:

13 Credits

151 Calculus
123 Analytical Physics
159 General Chemistry for Engineers
171 Intro to Experimentation
127 Intro to Computers for Engineers

I want to finish the year as an Engineering major, and then I may want to switch to business next fall. Is this possible without too much trouble? Thanks in advance.
Post edited by AbN610 on

Replies to: Currenty an engineering student, thinking about switching to business

• UB-Vinny77UB-Vinny77 - Posts: 678 Member
    well the Calc, chem and Physics are fine, as they will help you in Business, the others wont.

Nest semester rather than another non fundamental engineering course, try taking economics.
  • VTBoyVTBoy Registered User Posts: 580 Member
    I fail to see how calc will help, when you don't need to know anything beyond grade school level math, in business classes.
  • UB-Vinny77UB-Vinny77 - Posts: 678 Member
    VTBOy, there are actually many applications for calculus in Business and even more so in economics.

Many schools will have either there own tailor made Business calculus class, orr make there students take Calc 1 and Calc 2
  • granted_businessgranted_business Registered User Posts: 422 Member
    Agreed. Business majors at my school are required to take Calculus..don't quote me on this, but I think it's called "Calculus for the Managerial Sciences."
  • dcfcadcfca Registered User Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    I fail to see how calc will help, when you don't need to know anything beyond grade school level math, in business classes.

the business school at my school requires calc I and calc II in order to graduate. you just don't need calc III (multivariable).
  • glasgowkissglasgowkiss Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    it's possible to transfer to rbs. except i don't know how difficult it will be.
  • Mr PayneMr Payne Registered User Posts: 8,850 Senior Member
    A business degree here requires calc - it's a lower calc than what Engineering/Math/Hard Science majors have to take though.
This discussion has been closed.