Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

reasons for majoring in business

2»

Replies to: reasons for majoring in business

• VTBoyVTBoy Registered User Posts: 580 Member
    Taxguy you are too funny. A year of Calculus for accounting, almost no program requires a year of Calculus, even Wharton and Haas don't require that.

As for math that rivals upper division math classes, please get real. Their is just addition and subtraction in their classes no differential equations, no real analysis, no fourier analysis. No multivariate Calculus at all.
  • taxguytaxguy Registered User Posts: 6,629 Senior Member
    Sigh, VTBoy, you obviously are an ignorant ****;thus, I will no longer address you. All I can say is why don't you take two years of accounting and see how you do.

As far as taking calculus, accounting is in the business school. Some business schools such as CMU require calculus for all its business school grads. I had to take calculus when I majored in accouning. Interestingly, my son, who is also majoring in accounting didn't have to take Calculus, BUT he had to take two semesters of statistics,which can be almost as tough. My elder son had to take 4 semesters of statistic courses! If you think statistics are easy, take a couple of courses too and then make your ignorant comments.
  • Frosty27Frosty27 Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    wharton requires 2 years of calc (or equivalent) for all concentrations -- it's in the core.
    taxguy you are the one ****, I am telling you like it is.

Frosty get real they don't require 2 years of calculus, they require 1/2 a year or 1 semester of calc.
  • 5.0 Mustang5.0 Mustang Registered User Posts: 331 Member
    What is MIS?
    Also, what business major has lots of potential and doesn't limit your career choice too much? i don't think i cant handle 4 years of engineering school.
  • Mr PayneMr Payne Registered User Posts: 8,850 Senior Member
    As for VTBoy and Mr Payne, it's not worth it to pay much attention to them. They regularly **** threads trying to trash business majors without a great deal of knowledge or experience behind their arguments. Just because something doesn't involve calculus (and accounting generally doesn't) does not mean it isn't difficult or intellectually challenging. As I've said time and time again on this board, it's not worth discussing the difficulty of the math involved in accounting because that's not where the difficulty comes from--accounting has much more in common with Law than it does Finance.
    I never said it wasn't difficult or intellectually challenging. However, you did agree with my statement that the math isn't hard in accounting. It is more comparable to law, which is hard for other reasons - sheer volume of information, innumerable interrelated codes and laws, etc.
  • Mr PayneMr Payne Registered User Posts: 8,850 Senior Member
    My elder son had to take 4 semesters of statistic courses! If you think statistics are easy, take a couple of courses too and then make your ignorant comments.
    Isn't VTBoy a stat major? :lol:
  • Colin387Colin387 Registered User Posts: 195 Junior Member
    Statistics is a joke compared to calculus. I cannot believe you even say that it is almost as hard as calculus.
    Isn't VTBoy a stat major? :lol:

The stat classes I have taken are nothing like the one his son has taken. Statistics is a very demanding major. Unlike CS it is actually very heavy in Multivariate Calculus.
    Statistics is a joke compared to calculus. I cannot believe you even say that it is almost as hard as calculus.

Basic ******** statistics is, which is what his son took. Real statistics is challenging and requires an understanding of things like Multivariate Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Fourier Analysis. At the graduate level it is even more difficult with Real Analysis, Numerical Analysis, and Complex Analysis.
  • ryanbisryanbis Registered User Posts: 836 Member
    You seem to know a lot about the classes that other people have taken (people you never met) and the requirements of other schools.

This actually reminds me a bit of the "my dad is better than yours" conversations kids have. VTBoy's major is clearly better than ours. :/

5.0 Mustang: MIS is Management Information Systems
  • taxguytaxguy Registered User Posts: 6,629 Senior Member
    Colin387 notes,"Statistics is a joke compared to calculus."

Response: Why do people speak of what they don't know. I took 4 semesters of Calculus and Differential Equasions. I also took several semesters of statistics. I can honestly say that the upper level statistic courses were every bit as difficult, if not more so, then the Calculus courses that I took. However, that is how I perceived them. Maybe others would have a different reaction.
  • 5.0 Mustang5.0 Mustang Registered User Posts: 331 Member
    thanks for hijacking my thread...
2»
This discussion has been closed.