Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
leo187umleo187um Registered User Posts: 425 Member
edited October 2006 in Business Major
How do you get a 4.0 in college? With EC and all that... It's the 1st time in my life I'm serious about getting a 4.0 and I have absolutely no free time! Any tips?
Post edited by leo187um on

Replies to: 4.0

• TehRahkTehRahk Registered User Posts: 407 Member
    Near impossible. I work and I try to do EC's but it's hard. I know last semester I was averaging 6 hours of sleep a night and not sleeping one day. This semester I'm trying to sleep 7 hours a night and I'm so busy.

So yeah it's near impossible, if you want to maintain a healthy lifestyle. This semester I'm working out 2 hours a day, taking 17 credits, volunteering, working 40+ hours a week and taking part in a club at school. I'm trying to increase my chances for transfer into a better school. I know people who do even more than I do and I don't know how it's done.

Tips?

I recommend always having at least one day/night to yourself. I always go out Saturday night to party and relieve stress.
    Take one weekend off to yourself once a month to catch up on work and then relax.
    Buy an organizer or just keep things in order. Organization is key. You want everything to go smoothly and right after another.
    Work before play.

That's what I do and it works out for me. I manage to have some free time during the week. But not to often. I usually don't go out weekday nights and save weekends for leisure.
  • smurphysmurphy Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Time and priority management. You need to figure out which classes absolutely require you to do all the reading and which ones you can skim or sometimes skip altogether.

That and caffeine, lots and lots of caffeine.
  • 311Griff311Griff Registered User Posts: 1,586 Senior Member
    work like a dog, and make sure you do exactly what the professors want, and study like a champ...
  • TehRahkTehRahk Registered User Posts: 407 Member
    Skip classes that don't take attendance and just read the book and ace all the tests.
  • redhare317redhare317 Registered User Posts: 1,449 Senior Member
    Sometimes it's just the opposite: Go to class and take notes, but don't read the textbook! It depends on the class.
  • velomanveloman Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    I work 40 hours a week, take 6 classes, and I commute to 3 different community colleges. And I still got free time, although not a lot. Still able to bike about 6 hours a week. But then again, I'm not getting a 4.0, maybe a 3.0

Eh, money is good, I like money.
  • forgivenforgiven Registered User Posts: 1,690 Senior Member
    community college is different.
    getting a 4.0 at a cc is cake.. even while working full-time.
  • velomanveloman Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    If CC was that much easier, why are the credits transferrable? Possibly a loophole in the college education system? And how does that make you feel that you pay so much more money for the same classes, and you must work a LOT harder?
    (I'm talking lower division courses)
  • DawgieDawgie Registered User Posts: 1,576 Senior Member
    That's just the way CC is.
  • taxguytaxguy Registered User Posts: 6,629 Senior Member
    Not all community colleges are easy. However, as far as geting a 4.0, you don't need it to get into top professional schools or graduate schools. A 3.75 or better should be enough, assuming that you also have strong test scores. In fact, I know people who got into top schools with a 3.65 overall GPA.
  • southpasdenasouthpasdena Registered User Posts: 1,718 Senior Member
    classes at CC compared with classes at a university cover nearly the same damn identical material in the same amount of time. How would that automatically be easier?

And i work 40 hours a week, take 15 units, live an hr long drive away from my cc in traffic, work 30 miles away from home, have plenty of time to party and relax as i am one of those students that dont study or go to class but maintain a slightly higher than B average (3.3)
    classes at cc are different because the professors don't really expect too much from their students, since it's a community college.

i've been to community college, my state school, and now attend a prestigious public univ., and trust me, the differences are HUGE.

south pasdena, you wouldn't survive if you had that schedule and if u were taking classes at berkeley for example.
  • southpasdenasouthpasdena Registered User Posts: 1,718 Senior Member
    oh boy, considering i know the work they do at usc and ucla and I often help friends with econ, bio and chem, i think i know what the professors are expecting. The CC class is going to depend on the professor, that is all. Some are harder than others, but period, the material you must know is nearly the same regardless. Possibly it is the CC you went to, who knows. I see the work they do, but i have sat in on very few classes, so i dont know the entire experience if that is what you want to refer it as.

And how would you know if my schedule would not fit if i was at a "prestigious" university. I seem to be able to maintain a decent GPA doing nearly nothing. I am sure if effort was to be put in, i would be fine. I just dont know how to do that really, i have no clue how people study study and study. Working as an actual job i can do fine, but studying and school work seems so meaningless, at least know it is becuase every class i have had to take is material i already know...equals BORING as hell
    haha wow.
    let's just say i want to see you not study, party all the time, and work 40 hours, while attending a school like uchicago.

and a 3.3 at a cc is not a decent gpa. it pretty much sucks.
  • hobofromdowntownhobofromdowntown Registered User Posts: 2,232 Senior Member
    i played 40 hours of WOW and maintained a 3.5-3.6 at my university hahaha
This discussion has been closed.