Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which one would you chose?

2»

Replies to: Which one would you chose?

• DOLO2DOLO2 Registered User Posts: 431 Member
    Thank you for your responses.

forgiven. Why?

Any other suggestions?
  • taxguytaxguy Registered User Posts: 6,629 Senior Member
    Ryanbis, I actually went online and looked that the undergraduate finance offerings at BU. Why don't you do that yourself?
    As I know BU offers 7 finance courses.

http://management.bu.edu/upo/curriculum/courses.html

“BU's integrated curriculum”

ryanbis. Can you please tell me what does “integrated curriculum” mean? How is it different from other?
  • ryanbisryanbis Registered User Posts: 836 Member
    "Ryanbis, I actually went online and looked that the undergraduate finance offerings at BU. Why don't you do that yourself?"

I did. And I confirmed that there were more than three courses. I also ATTENDED the school and KNOW that I had the option to take more than three finance courses. I'm not sure where you are coming up with the idea that there are only 3 courses offered.

"ryanbis. Can you please tell me what does 'integrated curriculum' mean? How is it different from other?"

I've typed a lot about the program (and I'm a bit short on time at the moment), so I recommend searching past posts. In short, the curriculum teaches management as a system. Rather than being an "accounting major" or a "finance major," everyone is a business major who gets a comprehensive education in all of the functional areas. Each of these areas are integrated into all of the core courses, which allows you to see how all of these areas operate together within an organization. This is extremely advantageous, as business areas do not operate in a vacuum. When you actually go out into the working world, you'll most likely be working with cross-functional teams and you'll want to have an understanding of how your decisions (and the decisions of others) will affect the rest of the organization. It also helps if you work in the financial services sector, as you'll have a strong enough background to understand not only the financial performance of a company, but also their operational strategies, marketing, etc..

What really makes BU unique is the Cross-Functional Core project you take your junior year and the Management as a System series you take freshman year. I recommend poking around the website and search for past posts here if you want to learn more.
    BU may have a whopping 7 undergrad courses in finance BUT Bentely has

20! See http://www.bentley.edu/finance/courses_ugrad.cfm

Lets see 7 vs. 20. Bentley also started off as a school whose specialties were in finance and accounting. Any questions?
    "What really makes BU unique is the Cross-Functional Core project you take your junior year and the Management as a System series you take freshman year. I recommend poking around the website and search for past posts here if you want to learn more."

I just looked at these courses and they look great. But from my list (Babson, Bentley, BU, Northeastern) every institution offers the same. Except Northeastern where you choose your concentration from freshman year.

taxguy.Does the number of courses offered really matter? I mean that different institutions can manage courses differently BU can teach some aspects of Finance in one course while Bentley can tech them separately in different courses, or am I wrong? And if we only pay attention to number of Finance courses offered that Northeastern wins, because they have 23 or 24 courses.

taxguy. Do you know some curriculum innovations that make Bentley different from others? Like ryanbis listed Cross-Functional Core and Management as a System. And does someone know the same about Northeastern?

Also could you guys list some special career oriented programs which each school offers? I know that Babson offers:

Bloomberg University Certification Program
    Management Consulting Field Experience (MCFE)
    Coaching for Leadership and Teamwork
    Babson College Fund (BCF)
    Accelerated Curriculum for Entrepreneurship (ACE)

I couldn’t find the same kind of programs at Bentley (I don’t count clubs/organizations, if you are thinking about Bentley investment group), BU, and Northeastern (except Co-op)
    check out Bentley's trading room,which was not only one of the first in the US but still is considered one of the best. It looks like and certainly approximates a trading room found in most stock broker's offices.

As for curriculum innovations, I can't speak for either school since I never attended either school. HOWEVER, Bentely has its roots in finance training since it started as a school to train in accounting and finance. They are one of the only schools in the US that offers graduate training in financial planning too, and is widely considered to have one of the best financial planning programs in the US.

My advice to you is to NOT solely rely on the information presented in this thread or even in these forums. Visit each school. Ask penetrating questions of the deans of Finance in both schools. Seek out students who attend these programs and ask penetrating questions.
  • PyarPyar Registered User Posts: 1,653 Senior Member
    Bentley is an amazing school. Their career services are very helpful in finding you internships. They push all their students to do atleast two internships and go abroad for a semester once. They just started a new double major where you major in one field of business and in something called a Liberal Arts Major. This LAM basically organizes all of your liberal arts classes and electives into a concentration, like global perspectives or ethics and social responsibility. Most people minor in something if they aren't doing the double major. They are also very focused on the freshmen. All freshmen get advisors to help them through the whole process of adjusting to the campus. You get an advisor for your major, you get an advisor when you go abroad, and you get an advisor for internships and career services. I may be a little biased because I'm going there next year but I truly recommend looking at Bentley.
2»
This discussion has been closed.