Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Best Undergrad Business schools in California

Replies to: Best Undergrad Business schools in California

• wallstreetjoshwallstreetjosh Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    <<<<among the CSU campuses here's a shot at the top five. others might shuffle these, but they stand supreme:

1. san diego state
    2. cal state fullerton
    3. long beach state
    4. cal poly san luis
    5. san jose state

even though cal poly is the best university in the list its business program is fairly small compared to the other five, and that's part of the reason why it doesn't quite rank as high.>>>>

Who made that list? Is this list just based on your opinion? If so, please provide reasons for your rankings.
  • CalcruzerCalcruzer Registered User Posts: 4,832 Senior Member
    You need to know that in order to get into Haas from a CC requires about a 3.88+ GPA. Getting into a UC is essentially guaranteed, getting into Haas is not. (To give you an idea of the difficulty of getting in, only about 39% of students already in UC Berkeley who apply to Haas are accepted).

As far as the comment about Cal Poly SLO only ranking 4th on the list for the other schools (that is, it only ranking 4th once you don't count Haas and Marshall), I have to disagree--it would be probably third--but you have to put Santa Clara ahead of it--not CSUF and CSULB (and I'm a CSULB business undergrad, so it pains me to put them in this order--p.s. my MBA is from UCLA). I would rank the business programs in California in the following order:

1. UC Berkeley (Haas)
    2. USC (Marshall)
    3-4. SDSU/Santa Clara
    5. Cal Poly SLO
    6. Cal State Fullerton
    7-8. Cal State Long Beach/UC Riverside
    9. San Jose State

Also, if I were to include the biz econ programs at UCLA and UCSB, they would probably be right after Santa Clara, but ahead of the others.

The reason I rank the schools this way is that the different accounting and consulting companies rank them approximately this way. For example, E&Y in the Bay area (where I live) recruits for students with 3.2 GPA and above from UC Berkeley, 3.5 GPA and above from Santa Clara and 3.8 GPA and above from San Jose State.

P.S. This is why I encouraged my son to go to Indiana University (at Bloomington) for his business degree even though we live in California. It's a lot easier to get in there than into UC Berkeley or USC--and the business program is almost equivalent to USC's (although I should point out that applications to Indiana's business school almost doubled this year--so it's getting tougher to get in there also). To give you an idea of rankings--UC Berkeley is 3rd on USNW's national list, Indiana is 11th, and USC was 12th or so last year, but ranks about 9th most years.

Also I agree with leo78um on his I-banking list.
    Please excuse my last line above about leo178um's list--that refers to a different thread he posted on (feeder schools).
  • kamil.gkamil.g User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 11 New Member
    Hi, could anybody please help me with choosing what major I should be aiming at. I`m really interested in finances, stock markets, investment banking. But I`m not interested solely in economics major, with all the theory and probably ending up as an econ teacher.

I live in Cali and plan to start at a CCC and then transfer to the UC, hopefully to UCLA. So, which major at UCLA is the best for my purposes? or maybe for a finance major there is a better place? thanks in advance!
    If you plan to transfer to UCLA, your best major is going to be:

(1) Business Economics (because it covers more than just economics--and microeconomics is the closest thing to a business degree at the undergraduate level anyway offered at UCLA)--especially if you take quite a few Accounting courses

(2) Mathematics--focusing on Operations Research

(3) Public Adminstration (is this offered?)--close to business admin, but focused on government and non-profits

or (4) Psychology--which studies personal and societal behavior--and is a good lead-in to a Marketing career (although not as helpful for the finance career you seem to be interested in).
  • Gravitas3Gravitas3 Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    For example, E&Y in the Bay area (where I live) recruits for students with 3.2 GPA and above from UC Berkeley, 3.5 GPA and above from Santa Clara and 3.8 GPA and above from San Jose State.

Interesting calcruzer. Can you provide more schools? Perhaps you can include some So. Cal schools since you included a couple of them in your ranking of business programs.
  • WestCoast101WestCoast101 Registered User Posts: 239 Junior Member
    The University of San Diego has the #4 ranked Undergrad Business School in California, #46 in the country, and is ranked #27th overall by recruiters(According to BusinessWeek) so I'm not sure why it hasn't been mentioned. I would say it's only really behind Berkeley and USC in California.
    Sorry, didn't see that you were only looking for CSU's, but I felt that USD was one to mention. If I were you, I'd be looking at SDSU and Fullerton though....both strong undergrad business for CSU's.
  • drjdrj Registered User Posts: 510 Member
    cruzer's list is pretty solid. i'm a business professor in the state and would rank them pretty close to that one.
  • southpasdenasouthpasdena Registered User Posts: 1,718 Senior Member
    His list may be solid, but i haven't a clue where he gets 3.8 as the cutoff for students at sjsu for big 4. I would nudge it down to a 3.3 - 3.2 for all above listed universities

Secondly, sjsu and csuf should be ranked higher than cal poly slo and sdsu specifically because of their recruiting. SLO is to small to attract the number that sjsu does, and csuf has recently been sought after by many start ups in orange county. SDSU has....well they have nothing that any of the other listed schools dont have. This puts them all on an equal playing field and the above listed reasons are what put sjsu and csuf ahead. You cant downplay the fact that sjsu is still the largest by number in regards to silicon valley employees at all the major tech companies.

Secondly, if we must note ucla and ucsb, we need to bring in uci and ucr. UCR i am proud to say is making some strides in its career department. UCLA obviously stands out from the pact, but ucsb has great recruiting for accounting with 40 plus companies coming on campus throughout the year, including a few consulting companies. Otherwise i have not been able to see the latest career fair listings for the business fair only business tech and it looks almost identical to UCI - except they are lacking the profound influence and need for employess at the growing tech and bio tech marketing that is consuming irvine and aliso viejo.
  • Gravitas3Gravitas3 Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    Who made that list? Is this list just based on your opinion? If so, please provide reasons for your rankings.

Wallsteetjosh brings up a legitimate question which I don’t think was answered. What is the basis for ranking these schools? Calcruzer uses the gpa requirement for E & Y for No. Cal schools but also includes So. Cal schools on his ranking. Drj claims that his and Calcruzer’s rankings are solid and stand supreme but doesn’t provide a basis for it.

USNWR rankings are definitely flawed, but it has one thing that separate individuals coming up with rankings don’t have, a cross section of opinions coming in the form of peer assessment. It is a ranking based on the collection of opinions from a multitude of deans, administration and faculty from many different colleges. As flawed as it is, it does have that.

There are other factors, such as the success of graduates from a particular school in the workforce, where it REALLY counts, that is very difficult to measure. So we really have to take these rankings, individual or collective, with a grain of salt, esp. for CSU schools were I would venture to say that the difference in academic quality among the better programs is probably marginal.
  • stoneimmaculatestoneimmaculate - Posts: 619 Member
    Go to Stanford and your opportunities in business will be far greater than that of any other California school. Berkeley is close behind but Stanford is up there with Harvard and Wharton for undergrad placement in IB and other prestigious business positions.
  • southpasdenasouthpasdena Registered User Posts: 1,718 Senior Member
    no they are not up there with harvard and penn for one reason, ib simply isnt as in demand for college graduates on the west coast.
    If you are looking at California schools in the BusinessWeek rankings, the only ones that made the list are.......

1. UC Berkeley
    2. USC
    3. Santa Clara
    4. University of San Diego
    Look, I can only go by what the E&Y partner and managers here at my work (and the former Deloitte, KPMG, and Price Watershouse Coopers people I work with) are telling me. I'm guessing that the GPA is a target cutoff for each school. Obviously, if someone already has a great internship under their belt or comes across as especially impressive, they would likely make an exception in the hiring decision. If you want a contact number, I'll ask them--but I'm sure you can understand why I'm not posting their name and contact numbers on here.

As far as southern California schools, I can't tell you what the cutoffs are for the schools, since I'm only dealing with the E&Y people up here in northern California. Sorry.

I failed to mention Univ of San Diego--which is an oversight on my part. But I should say that I haven't met any people who came out of that school at places where I've worked or consulted--so it's hard to rate that program, not knowing much about it.

Lastly, the boom in Orange County and the Inland Empire is undoubtedly raising recruiting for those who are Business Econ majors (with Accounting courses taken) from UCI and regular business majors from UCR. I think UCR was mentioned--it was just UCI that wasn't. Keep in mind that most of the recruited UCI people are IT majors, though. The school ranks in the top 7 or so for computer degree majors, but their undergraduate business school is not equipped to provide courses in finance, marketing, management, or business law. (The grad school is pretty good, though).
This discussion has been closed.