Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Help Me Choose Please!!!

Smartbrotha07Smartbrotha07 Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
edited April 2007 in Business Major
Hey,

I am currently deciding between Carnegie Mellon University's business school Tepper, or the University of Miami's business school. I live in Miami so it would be close by. Miami is also offering me a full ride + about $10,000 pocket money. However, I've heard Tepper is really prestigious and is worth the extra money. I was offered about $37000 in grants from CMU and a $2500 work study and $3000 loan. So a little over $42000 was the total financial aid offered. The Cost of Attendance is about $49000. Is CMU worth the extra 6 or 7 grand a year in loans, or should I just stick with UM for undergrad since I will be making money on top of receiving full tuition?
Post edited by Smartbrotha07 on

Replies to: Help Me Choose Please!!!

• Smartbrotha07Smartbrotha07 Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
    bump.........anyone???
  • gomez95gomez95 Registered User Posts: 646 Member
    Your getting 10000$ from Miami. Ok I've never heard of that:P. Strange.

Anyway , if your family is comfortable with paying the extra 6000$ , then Tepper it is.
    However if paying this sum back would pose some financial problems then University of Miami it should be.
    Yeah I know it is a lot of money I will be receiving. Currently, CMU is reconfiguring my financial aid package to offer me a more competitve package since I showed them UM's package. I guess i'll see tomorrow because it will be done then.
    I received an updated financial aid offer from CMU and now they offered me an additional $6000 in scholarship money per year, making my full financial aid package $48000 + yearly, which covers just about everything since the COA is about $49000. I guess this makes my decision a little bit harder now. :-/
  • shubhsinghi6700shubhsinghi6700 Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
    I'd personally pick Carnegie Mellon.

It has a better reputation than Miami from what I understand.

But then again...i'm just a junior.

good luck.
  • gomez95gomez95 Registered User Posts: 646 Member
    Ah , I'd go for Tepper. Its the better school and theres no financial concern.
    thanks for your comments. I still have about a week to decide so i'll just think about it some more.
    Hey guys...I have decided to go visit CMU this Thursday and Friday. This will hopefully give me a better idea so I can make my final decision. I should have my FINAL decision by Saturday after coming back.
This discussion has been closed.