Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Feeder Schools

Replies to: Feeder Schools

• AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,650 Senior Member
    From what I have seen, on-campus IB recruitment activity goes something like this?

Harvard, Princeton, Wharton

MIT, Ross, Stern, Yale

Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Duke, Haas, McDonough, McIntire, Northwestern, Penn, Stanford

Chicago, Georgetown, Michigan, UVa, major LACs (like Amherst, Carleton, Davidson, Haverford, Middlebury, Swartmore, Wesleyan and Williams) and select BBA programs (Goizueta, Kelley, Kenan Flagler, Lehigh, Marshall, McCombs, Mendoza, Tepper)
  • mahras2mahras2 Registered User Posts: 1,977 Senior Member
    Actually most of those places have a large enough alumni representation that a few Dart alumni can be conjured up to go to "hillbilly" land.

And while Cornell is highly recruited...I would not put it ahead of the other ivies etc.
    As I said, its best to stop making such ultra meticulous rankings. If you are fortunate enough to go to a target school, good for you. Just do your best and the rest will follow.
  • harvardman1988harvardman1988 - Posts: 345 Member
    i would put Cornell over other ivies because it has an accredited business program... One that is second in the nation following Wharton obviously. nearly 50% of AEM graduates go into financial services and another 20% go into consulting. The 3 Bs all recruit here, Bain, Boston and Booz. Lehman also absolutely adore us.
  • ilovebusinessilovebusiness - Posts: 263 Junior Member
    wut would u say about mccombs not bhp just mccombs finance, they have track withing finance called track to ibanking and consulting, could that get you on wallsteet?
  • mahras2mahras2 Registered User Posts: 1,977 Senior Member
    Simply having a business program matters very little for bank recruiting. Most feeders do not have a business program and yet get significant attention from banks. On a per capital basis Cornell's recruitment numbers are not as good as say Dartmouth. As an example, even Dartmouth's history majors do well in recruiting which goes to show that a lack of a business curriculum doesn't really mean much.

Cornell, however, is very good and does very well as you have pointed out.
  • leo187umleo187um Registered User Posts: 425 Member
    Simply having a business program matters very little for bank recruiting. Most feeders do not have a business program and yet get significant attention from banks. On a per capital basis Cornell's recruitment numbers are not as good as say Dartmouth. As an example, even Dartmouth's history majors do well in recruiting which goes to show that a lack of a business curriculum doesn't really mean much.
    Indeed. Banks only care about the prestige of the school so whenever they meet an important client they could say "I'm so-and-so from (enter prestigious school), let us do the underwriting!" The client will probably only care about the name of the school then what you studied.
  • BSD24BSD24 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Also, having kids from non-business backgrounds adds some diversity to the mix. Being able to strike up a conversation with a client that doesn't have anything to do with WACC or a DCF is definitely an asset. The big banks have extensive training programs for a reason--they don't expect anyone to really know exactly how to be an analyst straight out of college. Whether people like it or not, your school's prestige matters a great deal. People can whine all they want about how its just a name on your diploma, but when push comes to shove, that name is a deal breaker.
  • dpa38d2udpa38d2u Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    These threads are always amusing. Alexandre went to Mich and is in love with Ross so he always puts Ross ahead of other schools such as Penn Columbia and Stanford. Harvardman goes to Cornell so of course he puts Cornell above some ivies and top publics. Mahras goes to Duke so he's going to argue that Duke should be in the top 10
  • aquamarineeaquamarinee Registered User Posts: 3,028 Senior Member
    So since prestige is such a significant factor, would Cornell's prestige > that of Northwestern's? Isn't it Cornell in that case?
  • grandpabuzzgrandpabuzz Registered User Posts: 516 Member
    This thread amuses me. Everyone can get into ibanking unless you are coming from a community college. Get a GPA around 3.8, take some leadership positions, intern, and network like hell. It's not easy, but it is possible. I have met countless individuals who graduated from schools like TCU or Texas State and are working as analysts in New York. Is it easier at a Wharton or Harvard compared to a state school or 2nd tier school? Absolutely, but it can be done. It is about self-motivation. Do you want it bad enough?

I used to think because I go to UT that I have only a slim chance making it to Wall Street. This is still true, but the slim chance is what you make it out to be. Network, get good grades, and you can make it.
  • BSD24BSD24 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    ^^that's a bit of stretch. your chances, even coming from a target, are slim. chances from a non-target are below slim. everyone claims to know someone (or "countless individuals") who break into banking from a non-target, but I think these stories are misleading. Maybe these guys are working in the back office at a bb, but I doubt that any IBD analyst at Goldman or MS (or any other BB) went to TCU or Texas State. No one here said it was not possible to get in from a non-target, but this is a thread titled "Feeder Schools" isn't it? I think your post should have gone in a different thread grandpabuzz.
  • bipolarbearbipolarbear Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    These are my rankings

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Wharton
    MIT, Stanford, Columbia
    Penn, Brown, Cornell, Dartmouth, Duke, Stern, Chicago, Ross, UVA, Haas
  • leo187umleo187um Registered User Posts: 425 Member
    I like bipolarbear's list. Just put Stanford above with HYPW and Haas shouldn't belong on there (east cost bias for Wall Street.)
  • Sam LeeSam Lee Registered User Posts: 9,449 Senior Member
    I'd add Northwestern to your bipolarbear's list. http://www.mmss.northwestern.edu/current_students/Internship%20Directory.pdf shows internships MMSS students had in the past few years. Considering the program has only 40 students a year and usually half go to graduate school, this is a very respectable list.

Major Employers for Northwestern grads – Graduating Class of 2005
    Three or more students accepted positions with these firms. (source: NU UCS)

ABN AMRO
    Accenture
    Allstate Insurance Company
    American Airlines, Inc.
    Argonne National Laboratory
    Bain & Company
    Beghou Consulting
    Booz Allen & Hamilton
    Boston Consulting Group
    Deloitte Consulting
    DiamondCluster International
    Epic Systems Corporation
    General Electric
    General Mills
    Goldman Sachs
    Harris Nesbitt
    Hewitt Associates
    Huron Consulting Group
    IBM
    JP Morgan Chase*
    Kraft Foods
    Lehman Brothers
    L.E.K. Consulting
    Marakon Associates
    McKinsey & Company
    McMaster-Carr Supply Company
    Medtronic
    Mercer Management Consulting
    Merrill Lynch
    Microsoft
    Morgan Stanley
    Morningstar, Inc.
    Northern Trust Corporation
    Northrop Grumman Corporation
    Philips (Royal Philips Electronics)
    PRTM (Pittiglio, Rabin, Todd, and McGrath)
    Robert W. Baird & Company
    SIG (Susquehanna International Group)
    Starcom Worldwide
    Stockamp & Associates
    Target Corporation
    William Blair & Company
  • AureliusAurelius Registered User Posts: 585 Member
    Standford should be low on the list. Not because the banks don't want Stanford graduates, but because there are probably better things to do in the West coast.

Not everyone wants to go to an investment bank.
This discussion has been closed.