Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Feeder Schools

Replies to: Feeder Schools

• mahras2mahras2 Registered User Posts: 1,977 Senior Member
    There still is a ton of kids there who head out to banks. The important thing is recruiting presence. I would rather go to a school where out of 500 kids 50 get spots than a school where out of 3000 kids 50 gets the spots.

This topic has been discussed ad nauseum in that banking oasis forum. Just do a thread search.

And replace UVa with NW and you have a pretty decent list although I still hold that Columbia would be on the Dart level than with say MIT (which is recruited out of the wazoo by prop/hedge/bank groups).
    These threads are always amusing. Alexandre went to Mich and is in love with Ross so he always puts Ross ahead of other schools such as Penn Columbia and Stanford. Harvardman goes to Cornell so of course he puts Cornell above some ivies and top publics. Mahras goes to Duke so he's going to argue that Duke should be in the top 10

I do not yet attend Duke but I will be in the fall. I just finished the college process and I had the opportunity to attend a bunch of the schools that are "targets". I did weigh that in my decision while selecting which school to attend even though I do not plan on being a banker (but their presence indicates that the career office does well and if I need to utilize the career office I will be in good shape). I tried to talk to the people who I knew in the industry and talked to current students about this as well. This is how I formulated my views on this subject.
  • harvardman1988harvardman1988 - Posts: 345 Member
    hey, u got in duke with a 91 avg from bronx? thats very impressive...
    92+ now. Got Brown, Cornell, NW, Emory, CMU-Tepper etc as well. Abysmal foreign language grades matter not (take that out and its a 94ish).
    BTW as for the Lehman thing at Cornell, you do mean Citi right? Citi has top notch recruiting at Cornell (more noteworthy than Lehman at least).
  • SweetLax88SweetLax88 Registered User Posts: 308 Member
    What about Notre Dame?
  • AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,643 Senior Member
    Notre Dame definitely attracts IBanks. Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and Citigroup all activelly recruit at Notre Dame.
  • ttown123ttown123 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Take a look at this. I know its a little out dated, and talking about MBA's but still interesting.

http://www.careerjournal.com/images/bschool06/whosrecruiting/whosrecruiting_pdf.pdf
  • Sam LeeSam Lee Registered User Posts: 9,449 Senior Member
    Caution: the results exclude schools that listed top employers but did not specify the number of hires.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,643 Senior Member
    That's qite right Sam, I was wondering where Harvard and Stanford were hiding.

Besides, this is for MBA hires. Brown and Princeton don't have MBA programs and they are very highly recruited and Yale, which has a good but not great MBA program, is also very highly recruited at the undergraduate level.
  • Sam LeeSam Lee Registered User Posts: 9,449 Senior Member
    I also wonder how accurate those numbers are. According to Northwestern's employment stats, McKinsey hired 54 MBAs from NU, not 38; Goldman Sachs hired 7, not 0, and Lehman Brothers hired 6, not 0. Of course, I was wondering where Harvard was just like you did when I first saw it.
  • biztogobiztogo Registered User Posts: 180 Junior Member
    Columbia looks very good, second only to Wharton. So, who cares that Columbia is ranked #2 or #9 in what magazine.
  • apples2applesapples2apples Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    i'm wondering if there is a difference between HYPW. are there job opportunities available to students at some of these schools that are not open to students at the others?
  • harvardman1988harvardman1988 - Posts: 345 Member
    maybe Wharton and Harvard. Princeton is on par with the other school and Yale is just meh.
  • bipolarbearbipolarbear Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    No, I don't think any firm would be totally rigid on who comes from where, but the most selective firms only have several target schools. Lazard, on par with Goldman Sachs in my opinion, only gives presentations at Columbia, Harvard, Mich, Princeton, UVA, Wharton, and Yale. Blackstone apparently primarily from Harvard, Wharton, UVA, Columbia, but mostly from Harvard and Wharton. So it's not like it's impossible, but if you're on the select list then you have a much bigger advantage.
This discussion has been closed.