Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Feeder Schools

124»

Replies to: Feeder Schools

• bananaphonebananaphone Registered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    I thought Lazard recruited at McGill?

Anyways, hows Tufts and its ability to attract recruiters? For MC, McKinsey recruits there according to their website so I figured it can't be too bad. Also Boston houses a lot of MC firms.
  • Anhydrosis2000Anhydrosis2000 Registered User Posts: 568 Member
    It seems the most important point is the percentage of students from a particular university (or school with a university) that want to go into I-Banking that actually get into I-Banking.

As a Ross student at Michigan, I know that a lot more students want to go into I-Banking than at UM in general. So, you start out with apples and oranges. Also, some employers... say, Goldman... may prefer a UM Econ. major over a Ross student... but JP Morgan, for example, may prefer Ross students.
  • aquamarineeaquamarinee Registered User Posts: 3,028 Senior Member
    Does anyone know the specifics then? Like Citibank and JP Morgan... do they like to recruit more econ or business majors from ivies and other top programs?
  • von_herrsvon_herrs Registered User Posts: 228 Junior Member
    how well will something like the Biz. Econ. track in COE (Commerce, Organisation, and Enterprise) do in bulge-bracket recruiting? a lot of people are saying i should gun for Wharton/Columbia/Stern/etc if i want to do i-banking afterwards, but i thought if the brown degree does just as well, the laidback chill experience there would be too much of a sacrifice.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,643 Senior Member
    Brown definitely does very well in attracting major IBanks. Any top university like Amherst, Brown, Chicago, Dartmouth, Duke, Harvard, Princeton, Stanford and Yale to name a few, attract many IBanks and place many of their students into them.
  • canadian1989canadian1989 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    where are princeton, harvard and stern on that list?
  • IvyPBearIvyPBear Registered User Posts: 917 Member
    Dartmouth has fewer students than Columbia, 4100 vs 6900. In terms of per-capita, Dartmouth does just as well, if not better, compared to Columbia in ib and consulting. Brown has fewer number of undergrads going to Wall Street to do ib; probably because Brown undergrads are less interested in business and more interested in law. There seems to be a lot fewer UChicago undergrads on Wall Street (compared to Dartmouth, Columbia, and Duke); I would assume that's because UChicago students are more interested in academic pursuits.

bipolarbear - Blackstone primarily recruits from Harvard and Wharton; it also recruits at Princeton, Yale, and Dartmouth (in addition to H and W).
  • johntonishijohntonishi Registered User Posts: 105 Junior Member
    On a per capita basis, top feeders for Wall Street are generally Harvard (around 50% goes into ib and consulting), Princeton (close to Harvard's percentage), Dartmouth (which explains why its alums are so rich), Duke (percentage has been increasing since early 1990s), Williams (very business oriented lac), Columbia, and Stanford. Wharton is in a class on its own in terms of percentage of students going on Wall Street because it's a business school.
  • openedskittlesopenedskittles Registered User Posts: 954 Member
    As many times as you've heard this: there really is more to finance than Wall Street.

McCombs at U Texas sends about 15% of BHP students and 8% of iMPA students to NYC each year. It's not because they couldn't have sent more, it's because NYC is simply so expensive that, even if your starting salary is $10 or $20k more than it would be in Texas, you'll still have a much lower standard of living.

I talked with some alums who work for Deloitte in Dallas and they said the couple of people who did go to NYC either did move back or want to move back to Texas.

I've talked with dozens of current McCombs BHP students who consider an office in Austin or Texas the screening process for deciding which companies they would want to work for.

A lot more students from McCombs go into Investment Banking or Consulting than go to NYC. For example, they can trade energy in Houston for the same or nearly the same pay with a much lower cost of living.

Bain has an office in Dallas.
    Goldman Sachs, BCG and McKinsey have offices in Houston and Dallas
    J.P Morgan Chase and Deloitte have offices in Houston, Dallas and Austin
    PWC has offices in Houston, Dallas, Austin and Fort Worth
    KPMG and Earnst & Young have offices in Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and Fort Worth

These offices are the reason McCombs is so under-represented on Wall Street. Basically, staying in Texas is choosing 6000 sq ft houses for the price of 600 sq ft NYC apartments and choosing driving a BMW to work over riding the train.

I know it's worth the expense to some people, and NYC is a cool place, but really it's not everything. Also, guy from UNC, you shouldn't be worried.

In response to two posts above this one: UChicago is probably under-represented on Wall Street because Chicago itself is a great city with a lot of great jobs.
  • akalboyakalboy Registered User Posts: 847 Member
    Anyone know how USC Marshall does? I generally get the feeling that most people wish to stay in CA, but for those who leave, are there prospects decent? Or will they always be viewed lower than all these top notch east coast schools?
124»
This discussion has been closed.