Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Sports Management

Replies to: Sports Management

• SoCal18SoCal18 Registered User Posts: 1,674 Senior Member
    A2Wolves6 - You said you spoke with the Colts. Did you seek them out by yourself, or did your connection with the sport management major allow you to talk with them?
  • A2Wolves6A2Wolves6 Registered User Posts: 4,232 Senior Member
    My sport management class had a speaker from the Colts in it, and I spoke to him after the class and got his business card.
  • Jetsx13Jetsx13 Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    AJ which school are you in?

You seem like you have a ton of connections, I am starting to put together a list of some schools.
  • loslobos71loslobos71 . Posts: 1,769 Senior Member
    A2 is at Indiana if I remember correctly.
  • bwinters14bwinters14 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    What are some good SM schools in Ohio? I have been looking at a bunch of Div. III schools such as Mt. Union (Thats what I am leaning towards) Ohio Northern and Heidelberg. Are there any others I should be considering?
    The best program in Ohio is Ohio University, however, from the sounds of things you are looking for a much smaller school.
  • Worried StudentWorried Student Registered User Posts: 780 Member
    Ohio University, then Bowling Green
  • bwinters14bwinters14 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I am looking for a smaller school but at the same time I am looking for a school that is average in price to get a SM degree
  • Jetsx13Jetsx13 Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    I heard OSU had a good SM program and I also heard Ohio and BGSU had one of the best in the country.
    OSU doesn't have a true undergraduate sport management program. They have a great graduate program, but for undergrad they only offer Sport and Leisure Studies, not Sport Management. Their program does not have the business background you look for in a Sport Management program.
  • B05T0NB05T0N - Posts: 945 Member
    Just to bump this up for anyone interested, best SM programs in the US:

-Bowling Green
    -Ithaca College
    -Ohio University
    -Springfield College
    -Temple University
    -University of Louisville
    -UMass-Amherst
    -University of Memphis
    -University of Texas-Austin
    -West Virginia University
  • FormidableFormidable Registered User Posts: 193 Junior Member
    Honestly, I don't really see the value of most programs that are just "sports management." These type of hyperspecialized programs are often of little value. If you want to be great in any business, you want to have a strong grasp of business fundamentals coupled with SOME specialized training...but a whole degree?

I agree 100%. In fact, I've heard of a few kids recently who have sports management degrees who are struggling to find jobs.

It's better to get a more generalized degree then go into sports management or a professional sports management program. That allows you to pursue other opportunities outside sports management.
    That's why I'm minoring in Business Admin. too (although if I do well, I dont think I'll have a problem getting a job).

Formidable, did those kids happen to go to the top SM schools I listed?
  • Sheed30Sheed30 Registered User Posts: 12,425 Senior Member
    University of Oregon has baller Sports marketings.
    It's a different major, but yeah, they have the best (and one of the only) sports marketing programs.
This discussion has been closed.