Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Business-Econ vs. Business Administration

wallstreetjoshwallstreetjosh Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
edited April 2007 in Business Major
I have a bit of a problem. I want to go to a UC, but the UCs with the exception of a couple, do not offer undergraduate business degrees. The closest thing they offer is business/managerial economics, which doesn't involved in-depth studies of the business/financial world, but mainly focuses on the business oriented economics (microeconomics). I want to study something with practical application toward my career of choice, which would be in finance, but the closest thing most UCs offer to that would be Business-Econ.

Am I better off attending a UC and earning a degree in Business-Economics, or am I better off going to a CSU like Cal Poly or Cal State Fullerton, and studying business administration or finance?
Post edited by wallstreetjosh on

Replies to: Business-Econ vs. Business Administration

• fantasy07fantasy07 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    UC BERKELEY AND UC RIVERSIDE are the two offering business administration. I would say they both have better programming and large weight than any CSU systems.
    if you cant make UCB, try UCR. even tho UCR has lower standing, but it's a UC. good program on business admin.

Business Economic isnt a great choice to be honest, it's in between business and economics. I would say you either take business adin, or do pure econ, dont do buz econ, you wont find a job
  • dhl3dhl3 Registered User Posts: 2,666 Senior Member
    dont do buz econ, you wont find a job

uhhh... wrong.
  • nschuchertnschuchert Registered User Posts: 529 Member
    Definitely wrong on the biz econ job thing. I'm interning at a hedge fund right now and the portfolio manager got a degree in Business Econ from UCLA about 10 years ago. Guy is brilliant and just got a fat bonus on top of the huge salary he already gets.

I asked him about hiring for business econ grads out of UCLA and other UC's, he said almost all his friends with that degree had a job right out of college as well.
  • southpasdenasouthpasdena Registered User Posts: 1,718 Senior Member
    i have always wondered which hedge fund this may be? If you wont tell me, give me some hints on their size or investing style. There have been a few in Newport that have garnered my interest because of their unique investing strategies
  • fantasy07fantasy07 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    yes, everybody can finds a job right outta college, yah the job working as a manager in staples, in small size company, but NOT big large companies.

Business admin has advantage for four biggest firms just let you know
  • southpasdenasouthpasdena Registered User Posts: 1,718 Senior Member
    you have absolutely no clue
This discussion has been closed.