Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Northwestern

2»

Replies to: Northwestern

• Sam LeeSam Lee Registered User Posts: 9,449 Senior Member
    The numbers in the survey (the 31 figure for ibd+s&t) also includes MA/PhD kids so the undergrad figure is lower. You can also see that from the high range of the salary for the IBD category. Undergrads don't make 100K in base first year...MA/PhD kids do.

On the other hand, the average and median are very much comparable to the average shown by peer schools. So I think it's reasonable to assume the MA/PhD account for only couple or so at most.
  • mahras2mahras2 Registered User Posts: 1,977 Senior Member
    Actually I believe around 230 MA/PhDs filled that survey. 110 had full time employment and 14 had offers pending. Not a pittance.
  • Sam LeeSam Lee Registered User Posts: 9,449 Senior Member
    Like I said, the average salary is very much BA/BS like, that's why it's reasonable to assume only a handful of them were MA/PhDs (maybe even only that one data point comes from a PhD). If MA/PhDs made up significant portion, the salary would very likely be higher than that. In any case, you can't draw too much conclusion out of this as 35% of the student body didn't fill the survey. Also, it's unclear to me when the survey was actually filled out; you can't just assume all the 210 ug respondents that were still seeking employment wouldn't get into ib/s&t especially if the survey was filled early.
  • mahras2mahras2 Registered User Posts: 1,977 Senior Member
    60-70% of the kids filled out the survey. You are reaching that number without accounting for people who haven't gotten offers, going to grad school, heading to military etc. 35% have full employment (33% at the time of the survey).

I don't know when they filled it out either. Generally people know of banking offers soon enough, so if it was filled out second semester the majority would have filled it out already (BBs would have sent in offers). However, you are correct in this regard and the number is probably larger (54% of the student body was employed at graduation according to this link: http://www.northwestern.edu/careers/surveyoutcomes/career-by-degree.html)

The numbers also look correct. Lot of NW guys end up in the Chicago IBD offices (generally smaller) so its not surprising that the numbers aren't large. NW also has a pretty large contingent moving to grad school which affects numbers.

Bottom line is that NW is a target. I was presenting some numbers here.
2»
This discussion has been closed.