Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why do CC'ers make love to I-Banking?

2»

Replies to: Why do CC'ers make love to I-Banking?

• sp1212sp1212 Registered User Posts: 795 Member
    Um okay, And what about the people that can't get into these target schools or what about the people that can get in but can't afford to go to these target schools.

Ha. So you only see rich kids getting great jobs in companies like Goldman Sachs and making A LOT of money.

And then we have to rely on state schools to stay close to home and end up getting a "bad" education from a non-target school and an "average" job at an "average" company with an "average" pay even though we can be just as capable of a worker as someone coming out of an Ivy League.

This is also sort of why I am fed up with threads involving the thread maker to make a decision between doing some business program at Harvard versus doing a program at Princeton, for example.

It's like students who go to non-target schools have no chance to be just as successful as a student who goes to target schools.

What a great motivator for us....ordinary students.. [/sarcasm]

Tis one big cycle. Like politics.
  • the_aspirantthe_aspirant Registered User Posts: 427 Member
    it's all about prestige and money.
  • intuit2k2intuit2k2 Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    The funny thing is that a good amount of people going into Investment Banking don't know what an Investment Bank does and assumes that they just trade stock. People are just attracted by the money and the title.
  • red sox 7327red sox 7327 Registered User Posts: 765 Member
    The funny thing is that a good amount of people going into Investment Banking don't know what an Investment Bank does and assumes that they just trade stock.

More likely some of the kids throwing around IBanking as a possibility don't know what it is. I have to believe that most of the kids applying and virtually all of the kids going in to IBanking know what it is. You wouldn't be able to get through the recruitment process otherwise.
  • chaoticchaotic Registered User Posts: 388 Member
    Investment banking is hot.
  • FBI_34FBI_34 Registered User Posts: 496 Member
    Money is the primary motivator.
  • milkimilki Registered User Posts: 1,063 Senior Member
    In graduate school, I have some fellow students who spent time in I-banking; every single one looks at least 10 years older than their actual age. To those high schoolers with dreams of Wall Street glory I say: be careful what you wish for, it just might come true.

Eh...I already look like I'm 25 (The last Indian "party" I went to some one asked me where I worked. Eek!)
  • karchkarch Registered User Posts: 638 Member
    Somebody genuinely thought I was a middle schooler yesterday. It's my face.

I could use another 10 years.
  • Sheed30Sheed30 Registered User Posts: 12,425 Senior Member
    Karch..Portland is the place to roll..glad to see more people from P=town rolling in...even though you have been on this site 2 years longer than i have ;)
  • milkimilki Registered User Posts: 1,063 Senior Member
    Somebody genuinely thought I was a middle schooler yesterday. It's my face.

I could use another 10 years.

Hey Karch, wanna trade faces! :)
  • hinmanCEOhinmanCEO Registered User Posts: 276 Junior Member
    hmmm someone thought my brother who is 14 was an adult.. no ibanking for him!
2»
This discussion has been closed.