Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Odds at Goldman--very bad

Replies to: Odds at Goldman--very bad

• jnpnjnpn Registered User Posts: 787 Member
    Oh then yeah, it's tough for anyone to land a job at a BB in NYC. Not impossible, especially at a target, but definitely tough.
  • mahras2mahras2 Registered User Posts: 1,977 Senior Member
    None of you kids are getting in investment banking.

Regarding this, however, I will say: Speak for yourself buddy haha.
  • TheMK99TheMK99 Registered User Posts: 1,019 Member
    It's CC. Every ambitious overachiever lurks on the business forum. Our chances of making IB are better than the general public's.
    the real % we need to know is % going into a BB (or top boutique) in NYC as an IB analyst

All I know is 21% of Ross grads go to BBs (73/350).
  • FBI_34FBI_34 Registered User Posts: 496 Member
    I currently intern at the The Monitor Group, a top 5 consulting firm, and I can tell you one thing: CONNECTIONS, CONNECTIONS, CONNECTIONS. You absolutely HAVE to have good networking skills if you want to do consulting. I go to NYU CAS, and I was chosen over several ivy league students because of my network.

I assume it's the same for banking.
  • DawgieDawgie Registered User Posts: 1,576 Senior Member
    Regarding this, however, I will say: Speak for yourself buddy haha.
    Haha you are trying to get into IBanking, have fun failing. I wouldn't even want to get into IBanking even if I got in. For people with no life.
    Haha you are trying to get into IBanking, have fun failing. I wouldn't even want to get into IBanking even if I got in. For people with no life.

Dawgie, it seems you have been on a warpath ever since your profession got bashed in the ibanking vs accounting thread. Ease up buddy.
    Whatever thread you are talking about, I don't even recall what was being argued there so obviously that's not the reason. I could careless about which career is better. Honestly, that's all subjective to the individual. Truth is 98% of you aren't getting in.
    Truth is 98% of you aren't getting in.

Yeah, if we all went to bentley.
    jnpn, whats your work experience, leadership positions, and gpa? The few I knew had 3.95+ GPA's, president of investment clubs, 2-3 relevant internships in finance. Either/or, I'm curious what you have going for you.
  • mahras2mahras2 Registered User Posts: 1,977 Senior Member

Actually no, banking is of no interest to me. It would also not be that difficult for me either. Not to mention I already gotten a foot into better places (buyside).
    The few I knew had 3.95+ GPA's, president of investment clubs, 2-3 relevant internships in finance. Either/or, I'm curious what you have going for you.

Thats the difference between attending a target and a non-target. If that person went to a target and had even a modicum of social ability, s/he could generate offers. S/he would actually be overqualified for banking...not that that would stop the person for worrying anyhow.
    Being at a target is one thing, but overqualified? What are your credentials? You seem to have it all.
    Dawgie, I think mahras pretty much summed up my answer with this:
    Thats the difference between attending a target and a non-target.

Mahras, did you go straight to PE?
    Dunno I just wanna know all your credentials, since you guys are overqualified for IBanking just from going to a target school.
    Dunno I just wanna know all your credentials, since you guys are overqualified for IBanking just from going to a target school.

I never said I was overqualified.
This discussion has been closed.