Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

finance classes for internships

jazzmusicjazzmusic Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
edited May 2008 in Business Major
I am a rising junior and i was recently admitted to business school. Unfortunately, i have not taken statistics yet so I will have to wait until spring of my junior yr before i can take the introductory finance course because it requires stats as a pre-req. This presents a major problem in terms of my knowledge of finance during the key summer analyst recruitment interviews that take place during the months of November - February. Since I'm going to be a finance major, I'm sure that they're going to ask technical and in-depth questions about the things that I should have learned in my finance courses.

My question then is what should i do? It's technically possible for me to take a summer stats course but the price is outrageous since you have to pay per credit (in excess of 6k). Instead I was thinking of self studying finance over the summer by buying a finance textbook. Will this be effective and feasible or do you think it's an absolute necessity that i take the intro finance course in the fall rather than the spring to catch up?
Post edited by jazzmusic on

Replies to: finance classes for internships

• melon390melon390 Registered User Posts: 698 Member
    donn't buy a textboook, go to the library. you can learn quite a bit by self study. Enough to get through the interview.
  • passerbypasserby Registered User Posts: 617 Member
    Read the Vault Guide to Finance Interviews and the Vault Guide to Investment Banking.

Check your career center library. If they don't have these guides, then buy them on amazon or ebay.
  • jazzmusicjazzmusic Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    so basically you guys don't think i will be missing out on too much on the interviews if i just basically study the general basic finance concepts from textbooks/vault guides? then again, i can't find myself justifying the cost of paying nearly 7,000 for a statistics course either.
  • melon390melon390 Registered User Posts: 698 Member
    yes, you will be fine. Just make sure you're familiar with the concepts and play around on excel for a bit and you're okay.
This discussion has been closed.