Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Why So Few Operations Management Majors?

Replies to: Why So Few Operations Management Majors?

• naurunauru Registered User Posts: 1,158 Senior Member
    ^Quite right.
  • A_Balding_LoserA_Balding_Loser - Posts: 50 Junior Member
    vector laid down some serious pwnage
  • sf606508sf606508 Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    White & Case is as much a Wall Street firm (in the legal sense) as Goldman is a Wall Street firm in the financial sense.

If you ever read the Int'l Herald Tribune, or the Daily Telegraph, or indeed the Times [London], they refer to a certain type of lawyers as City solicitors, a certain type of consultants as City consultants, and a certain type of bankers City bankers (merchant/investment bankers). The same methodology covers the American cousin across the pond, Wall Street.

God, I tire of arguing moot points. Litigiousness must be in the American nature.
  • CalcruzerCalcruzer Registered User Posts: 4,832 Senior Member
    sf606508, I and the others aren't totally disagreeing with all of your points, just certain ones. We are also concerned that your method of arguing your points do not take into account varying points of view--for example on the importance of money versus reputation--or on the limitation of operations mgmt majors to make a decent amount of money. And we also don't understand the need for insults in the discussion. I, for one, agree with your argument that those from Harvard are more likely to make large amounts of money than those going to other universities (see my link below to support your point)--but that doesn't mean that pursing an operations major from another college or university isn't worth anything, nor does it mean that graduates from other schools will not be successful as well.

All I ask is that you consider some of the other points on here--and not just think that because we don't agree with all of your points, that we are closed-minded ourselves.

Here's the link I mentioned to help support your one argument on Harvard grads being successful:

The Billionaire Universities - Forbes.com
  • redhare317redhare317 Registered User Posts: 1,449 Senior Member
    Vector is right. It's like saying "Hollywood" and "Silicon Valley" to represent their respective industries, not the physical locations.
  • naurunauru Registered User Posts: 1,158 Senior Member
    sf606508's attitude and "method of arguing" are only too common on our "side of the pond" unfortunately. Over here your worth is basically determined by whether or not you work in "the City" at a "top firm" such as "Goldmans" or "Merrills" or "Lehmans"... *sigh*

Most students over here who aspire to work in "the City" don't realise that "the City" is not used the same way in Britain as "Wall Street" is in the US.
    I retract. I might have offended some inadvertently. For that apologise. And I did not intend to put down any profession or career path. And I have been overzealous in advancing my own position. For that also I apologise.

Nauru, I think you can more easily understand the English obsession with the City or whatever if you are aware that City, for the last few decades, has been the occupation of choice for sons of the landed aristocracy in their twenties (taking up increasings share amidst the decline of the Army and Foreign Service as prestige occupations). Even a dapper chap named Friedrich von Bismarck worked in the City for a while during the 80's. It is not even just a money thing; it is, unfortunately, the symbiosis of prestige, class, and wealth for the British middle classes (I mean middle classes in the Commonwealth, not American, sense), who of course, aspire to be like the landed classes. (a particular Briticism, not applicable to the New World).

calcruzer, I suspected the same for a long time. Having been in both the public and prep school systems, I have been struck by how the appropriate environment (prep) can stimulate even the most mediocre to financial success. I found notable that Yale managed to produce all of its billionaire alums purely through undergrad with no Yale graduate attendance whatsoever. Speaks for the strength of institutions like Skulls & Bones and Scrolls & Key, i guess.

To be quite honest, my gut instinct is that management, as a career, is dead in the water. But that is purely my personal opinion, and I will not argue for it as it is such a subjective question, and gut instincts are just that, gut instincts.
  • A_Balding_LoserA_Balding_Loser - Posts: 50 Junior Member
    well, all I know is I heard operations and SCM are booming right now, and that was a large pull in my choosing to study OM. I still maintain that I enjoy it though.

ttt for anything else.
  • 121314121314 Registered User Posts: 302 Junior Member
    My friend at Northwestern tells me that an industrial engineering major can get any job that a business major or econ major can get + get the traditional industrial engineering jobs, is this true?

And for the record, ibanks and consulting firms do not care what you major but you have a better chance if the major is analytical (like business, industrial engineering, chemical engineering, economics, etc) because of the nature of the work. The only thing that ibanks and consulting firms care about is prestige of the school you go to.
  • VectorWegaVectorWega Registered User Posts: 1,872 Senior Member
    ^ Tell your friend to get a job as a big 4 accountant. Let's see how marketable his industrial engineering degree has really made him. Good luck to him!
    industrial engineering is a rare and infrequent offering at the most prestigious schools (harvard/yale/amherst/williams/duke/etc), as are most technical majors
  • 121314121314 Registered User Posts: 302 Junior Member
    ^ Tell your friend to get a job as a big 4 accountant. Let's see how marketable his industrial engineering degree has really made him. Good luck to him!

Well, i meant more of a general business job (business administration) like a manager or working in corporate development/strategy.
  • VectorWegaVectorWega Registered User Posts: 1,872 Senior Member
    ^ what your friend is referring to is the fact that engineering students learn technical skills in school that are required to do the job. Someone with a management degree can't do the work of a chemical engineer because they don't have the technical expertise. By contrast, the skills learned by a management major are largely soft skills, which can often be picked up on the job.

However, your friend is kidding himself if he thinks he can get any business job because he has an engineering degree. The reason so many engineers go back to get their MBA is largely based on a large number of them getting stuck in dead end engineering jobs.
  • LaceroLacero Registered User Posts: 189 Junior Member
    Exactly. A lot of engineers seem to think their diploma is a ticket to career success. That they are somehow more qualified for a business/management position because of it. They get shot down in engineering companies. They now need an advance degree. Maybe a top MBA, but most of the engineers there are former analysts at IB's and consulting firms. They can't get in. They then go on a crusade slagging of any technical career path.

What you are saying is also another reason there are so many engineer CEO's. There are so many because there are so many technical companies. An engineer would obviously have a better chance.
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Registered User Posts: 22,762 Senior Member
    What I've seen is that many engineers get promoted into management and they are expected to contribute individually and be a manager until they get enough people and responsibility so that they don't have time to be an individual contributor.
This discussion has been closed.